Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Lunar -QHY5 Help

Ive never done CCD lunar imaging before or Planetary.

I was planning on using my guide scope 'QHY5' ,Tal 100RS with celestron barlow mounted on the EQ6 for starters and then maybe later I'll use my ATIK RGB filters for colour on planets,before the planets I'd like a crack at the Moon. can someone give me a head start on what to use for cature and simple stacking software etc? :)

Your capture software will be the software that came with your camera (QGVIDEO I think). The stacking software will be Registax (V5 is a bit easier to use than V6} or Avistack . The processed images can then be combined into a mosaic using Microsoft ICE. Your EQ6 mount can be controlled using EQMosaic making the process of moving the mount easier. http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/104876-making-lunar-mosaic.html

Peter

QHY5 should work with SharpCap, but if it doesn't then ther is still the QGVideo. It can be downloaded from: QHY CCD software Download

As QHY5 can't do very short exposures (and to improve the image) you should use it with an IR passing filter (ProPlanet, Baader Ir-pass or red visual filter... or other). When you have all that you can start hunting the Moon. Low gain and around 1000 frames AVI should be ok.

For mosaics the MS ICE will do it easily - as mentioned above

Archived