Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bits and Bobs

Well at long last I think I've finally decided to get a 200PDS and because of this I will have a bit left over for some extras.

First off is a power supply from Maplins at about £35 for the HEQ5, a bahtinov mask £20 and a collimation eye piece at £25

On top of that I'd like to buy a couple of eye pieces (probably BST or in that price range) and I've my eye on a Tal x3 barlow. At this point I think my luck might run out with the boss but if i can push it I'd like to get some basic filters for visual and AP.

Anybody have any input into the above? if so don't hold back :)

You could do worse than to get the Revelation Photo-Visual set, currently going at £125 from FLO, here. The kit comprises 9, 12, 15, 20 and 35mm Plossl EPs, a 2x Barlow, a T-mount nosepiece (the 35mm EP can also be screwed into a T-ring) and five basic (but well made) filters, all in a smart aluminium hardcase. You'll get better quality EPs by buying more expensive ones individually, but these are not at all bad. I got this set and have no regrets.

Thanks for the reply

I have considered kits but I think I'd rather do with less eye pieces but of a better quality and gradually build up.

Although the addition of the filters in the kit is something to think about.

Just make sure that the power source is a regulated supply - which at £35 I suspect it is. I went for a 10amp supply because I wanted plenty of juice available for cameras, dew heaters etc. 10amps is over the top for me really, but it might be worth having more current capacity if you do want to add powered accessories in the future...

My opinion, but I think a Bhatinov mask is only really necessary if you are imaging. Don't get me wrong, I think they are invaluable for astrophotography, but I don't see the point for visual observing... You're eyes can see if you are happy with the focus!

...and I get perfectly good collimation results on my Newts using a simple collimation cap. You can get one of these Astro Engineering AC756 Astro Engineering Posh 1.25" dust plugs which are either centre marked or - in my case - already drilled out for a few quid.

The power supply I was looking at was this one, the 5A version although i now notice that the 7A is only a few quid more.

Yeh I'd be using the mask for imaging

Still to really make up my mind about the eyepieces though.

Make your mind up about one thing and a hundred other things pop up :)

Archived