Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If i got these?

If i get these cables will i be able to use my lap top and stellarium to control my skywatcher goto ?

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

To my knowledge (that, btw, was a disclaimer!), yes.

Again, to my knowledge, you'll need to download the ASCOM platform and a driver for your mount - I'm assuming you have a SynScan Goto mount, as this is normal with SkyWatcher 'scopes. ASCOM is an industry-standard software platform which is 'invisible' when you use it, but it enables your planetarium programme to communicate with the computer in your telescope's mount.

The ASCOM platform can be downloaded free from here, and I believe you'll need the Celestron Unified driver (I have a SynScan AZ mount, and this works for me), which can be found here.

It's best to align the telescope as normal by using the SynScan handset, but from there, your laptop can take over the guidance. I don't use Stellarium, so I can't comment further on that.

For Stellarium you don't need Ascom. Stellarium has it's own internal drivers for various mounts.

Peter

Ah, thank you. As I said, I don't use Stellarium - I'm a fan of simplicity, and I find it a bit too 'all-singing, all-dancing'.

If your mount is one of those in the list on the advert, then yes you'll be able to hook up the pc/laptop and control it from Stellarium. I have a similar setup for the NEQ6 Pro but using serial/usb converters. You'll also be able to use Phd guiding with a webcam, and other planetaria like Cartes du Ciel :)

Archived