Advice on next purchases please

Hi everyone!

Been lurking for several months and finally decided to take the plunge!

Would appreciate some advice on what sort of gear I should be buying next! I currently use the following:-

Celestron 15x70 Bins with supplied Mount and a monopod

Skywatcher Explorer 200P on an EQ5 mount with supplied eyepieces

My main targets are Deep Sky objects and although I currently have no plans to image deep sky it may be a future consideration. I am open to all suggestions but I guess eyepieces and filters are probably my priority.

A bit of background about my viewing location (Back yard)

I live in a small village in Suffolk where there is a small amount of light pollution, mainly from one street light to the North. On a good night with the naked eye M42 is a clear smudge, M31 is visible and I can occasionally make out 7 stars in Plaiedes.

Looking forward to some advice and comments, thanks!

Lee

maybe just upgrade your mount to the heq 5 synscan?? the 200p is a fantastic scope unless you want to go big and hunt down those faint fuzzies then you will need a 12ich DOb or dare i say a 16 inch ! what ever you decide i bet you will be happy so just take your time goodluck on the choic though and keep us updated :)

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

I haven't really set myself a budget yet, although I guess that upto £100 for an eyepiece and a similar amount for a nebula filter will be the sort of money I will be willing to spend initially.

As regards upgrading mounts that is something for the future. Not looking at imaging just yet but as I have a reasonable DSLR (Canon EOS 40D) then the HEQ5 is deffo on my list of future wants!

Additionally, will some form of Nebula filter improve things dramatically for me? Bearing in mind that from my garden under dark skies M42 is stunning in just binoculars :)

Cheers

Lee

Archived