Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on (second) first telescope!

Hello all. I've been browsing these forums for a while, unregistered, so I figured it was time to jump in!

I have a dilemma, let me explain. I bought a Celestron Astromaster 114EQ, like many others I was frustrated on my first night, not being able to see anything; you all know the drill by now. Anyway, I didn't let it deter me and went out the next day to calibrate the finder, it wasn't great. I ended up using a blob of bluetac on the end and used one of the mounting bracket screws as a second point of reference.

After that, my mind was blown. I saw Jupiter the first time and just spent hours star gazing. It sounds a little stupid, but I really had no idea how much was up there, where ever you move the scope, there's always something in it!

Which leads me to my dilemma. I was kind of dipping my toes in the water with the 114eq as I wasn't sure if this was for me or not. I've now decided in the few days since I bought it, I want to see MORE!

So, I've heard a lot of good things about the Skyliner 200p and I'm not sure if that's the direction I should be going in. £300 is going to be my very upper limit budget, ideally I'd like it to be lower than that incase I need to get any lenses with it.

Any and all advice would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Ben

I agree, there is no comparison. The 200P is a fantastic scope and hold collimation really well. f/6 is quite forgiving on eyepieces. Plan to add a Rigel QuickFinder or Telrad 'red circle' finder next to the normal finderscope. They make it very easy to find things.

Thank you both for your input. I'll add some things to my wishlist then! As far as increasing my lense collection, at some point; what would be best, a 6mm(or something similar) or a 2x barlow?

Well the focal length is 1200mm so a 6mm will give you 200x magnification (1200/6). This is probably the best you'll get out of average UK "Seeing" (ie atmospheric conditions).

But at f-5.91 it will want to be a reasonable quality eyepiece. A 2x barlow will double the magnification to 400x and allthough that's near the scopes practical limit, in reality you won't get the sky conditions to support that more than a couple of times per year.

You may find you want to gradually build a range of eyepieces with or without a barlow that gives you a 50x to 200x range of magnifications and a variation of narrow/wide fields of view. :)

I'm very new to this, so please forgive me if these questions sound stupid. However, are the atmospheric conditions any better over, say Devon, as opposed to more populated counties? I realise that when you get up that high, the UK is just a dot, just wondering if there's any difference in it at all.

Bearing what you said in mind, Brant; could someone suggest a half decent affordable 6mm lens? Thanks!

Archived