Finding objects without breaking my back!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would use a telrad and a finder scope combined a telrad allows a quick and simple 1 to 1 view of the sky no magnification so dim objects can not be seen but if you use the telrad to get to the aprox location and then use the finder scope you will find it easier. i tend to point in the general direction and then look through the telrad to get nearest known star then look trough the finder to get in closer again ten the eyepiece 40mm first then go in 26mm then 12mm getting the object centered each time . i personally do not like the 90degree view finder i would rather a straight through then you can keep both eyes open as you look through the object comes is seen twice but come together as you move closer. star hoping and location of object within the constellation is key here. but saying that you can use telrad finder charts they really help with dimmer objects. see

Messier Maps and they are PDF files download the circle around the objects represent the ring on the telrad. you will find as you get to know an object it become easier next time you look for it. wont be long and the charts will not be needed. i was exactly the same 15 years ago now rarely need a chart and can find many objects.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I have just ordered a Telrad (took some time to persuade my wife that I needed to spend more money...), and will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Steve

. i personally do not like the 90degree view finder i would rather a straight through then you can keep both eyes open as you look through the object comes is seen twice but come together as you move closer. star hoping and location of object within the constellation is key here.

Ditto.

Don't think you have to have an RA finder. Just a telrad or rigel will be a great improvement. I have seen a corrected RA finder come and go from my kit preferring to use the method above with straight through finders. I found RA finders are only useful if you first get roughly where you want to be with a red dot finder. So there is always going to be a degree of bending over the scope anyway.... RA finder or not. Not having one eye on the sky with a RA finder also means you can deviate some way from the original position with out realizing it. This is not the case with a straight through finder. Granted it takes the strain off the back but using a cheap chuck in low power eyepiece in the focuser along with a red dot finder will achieve similar results minus the extra expense. The advantage of retaining the straight through finder over a RA finder is that should the RD finders batteries fail you, you can continue to find objects with the straight through finder / low power EP which would be almost impossible with an RA finder.

Just my 2p worth.

I have since the start of this thread, place a 2nd Telrad Base on the other side of my Focuser, with such skill that when i change the Telrad from one base to the other the chosen star is still dead centre, the reason for the second base when i spin the reflector to get the focuser in a comfortable position the Telrad would end up under neither, so now i swap to the base on top..:icon_salut:

I tend to use a red dot and a 2 inch eyepiece to find stuff.

I use the RDF to locate the nearest naked eye visible star to my target then switch over the the 2 inch eyepiece that offers 2.2 degrees ( in the case of the 1000mm focal length refractor) then count my way to the location I want in 2.2 degree circles a bit like the Telrad in a way.

I then double check the RDF to triangulate visible magnitude stars to the target to double check positioning.

I suppose everyone has different methods :)

I find a wixey and stellarium have much reduced my use of the finder scope for difficult to find objects. Along with a simple setting circle I can normally look through the 25mm and have it pretty central.

I still use the finder scope to line up with easier objects like m42, andromeda, Jupiter, Saturn etc.

Archived