Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Newbie needs advice for photography

A Barlow will make it bigger. I think you may need to adjust the settings in the capture software to reduce gain/exposure and brightness. What software are you using?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A bigger scope is going to better but you should be able to get some reasonable shots. Are you stacking the results in registax?

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

I am a total newbie to all this. Bought a telescope for my very disabled husband as he has always had a great fondness for all "up there" and now I find I am enthralled to see all the pictures people produce. I like photography so thought this might be a new challenge for me. I have downloaded Registax 6 and am playing around with it. I feel that an f/10 scope is not really correct for what I want to achieve but thought I could play around with the moon and planets for a while. Could be the "seeing" I suppose but even when I can see Jupiter fairly clearly with the moons, I only get a white blob on the screen. The moon is fantastic. That works very well. Don't get me wrong, I have done a lot of photography in my life (passed my sell by date age) but usually with a good camera on auto. I have a canon EOS 550D at present with the T-ring and T-adapter. I have the Philips SDC 9000 webcam. So reading a bit on these posts, I need really to look at an EQ5 perhaps and a faster scope maybe. However I would like to spend some time with this scope to get used to what I already have. Two months just looking isn't enough practice yet to know what I am doing. Once I get to the target obtainable with what I have then I will think of upgrading. Trouble is what can I actually achieve? I need to see what others have done I suppose with similar equipment. I have bought "the book" from FLO. That should arrive today ; ) I would appreciate any help, criticsms, advice, funnies, pictures or images that would help me to understand what I could achieve. I would also like to see images of what people achieve with the Skywatcher evostar 80ed ds pro to see what can be achieved. I am finding it difficult to see any. If you can point me to someone who has a similar setup to this I would be delighted and very grateful. Thank you for your time. Kind regards and clear skies to you.

Archived