What is the best value GOTO refractor for a noob?

...and another point is focussing. You will definitely need to be outside for that! Also with a webcam, which is like viewing through a 6mm eyepiece, you will only get part of and image not the whole of say, the Moon.

With the greatest respect, I think you need to think again.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The £400 budget was for the scope only. I realise that a webcam, software, hardware, cables, chocolate powder, etc. will cost more!

I'm just trying to find out the foundations here. In other words, can I add a webcam, wireless, software, etc.

That's what I'm, saying.

To get what you want you'd really need to spend double that minimum. When you pay £400 for an AZ goto you're paying for the mount, the optics you can get on a different mount for a massive amount less. Clement weather is just around the corner, buy optics with the money, something like First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 and get out and enjoy it with your daughter. In ten months time if you want goto then you can... First Light Optics - SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5 and with whatever means you can use it to view from the warm and have decent images to see due to the quality of optics.

...and another point is focussing. You will definitely need to be outside for that! Also with a webcam, which is like viewing through a 6mm eyepiece, you will only get part of and image not the whole of say, the Moon.

With the greatest respect, I think you need to think again.

QFT.

As my link showed, not barlows or anything you get very close with my tube.

Imaging. Yes, this is probably better. I won't bore you with a long explanation but initially Zoe would prefer to image.

You'll get very little imaging done with a small telescope on an AZ mounting. As they say, an HEQ5 (not the same as an EQ5) is the bare minimum for astrophotography.

You have a Costco at Chingford and one in Watford, I just picked up a Celestron Nexstar 102GT for £160. Cheap enough to have money left over for lots of addons and it still has 6 eye pieces and goto straight out of the box and has a longer focal length than the SLT. Have a look on the Celestron web site if you think it might fit the bill. The Slt is £329, Costco are giving the Gt away at £160

Another problem you will encounter is that the web cam will focus at at different point to an eyepiece and therfore you will need to see the screen whilst focusing. This would mean having a screen near to the mount at first. The only way around this would be to use a 'parfocal ring' which allows you make the camera and eyepiece focus at the same point. It basically a metal ring which allows you to adjust the amount the eyepiece or the web cam nose piece go into the focuser. The scope is probably controlled by RS232 which you can use a bluetooth to RS232 receiver. This will need a local supply near the scope to run the dongle. These are available for less than £40. You will need a bluetooth enabled PC or smart phone to control the mount. The next issue would be the remote access of the USB. This could be done with usb over ethernet adapters but these are usually wired and may have problems running a web cam.

As others have said it would be better at first to use it untethered.

I'm only a noob here too, but I have just got a Skywatcher 130p goto and its bl--dy awesome!

True, I've had nothing to compare it to, but I'm very, very happy. Just wondering, WHY a refractor in particular?

For around £300 (prices vary from place to place) you will get a goto thats a DODDLE to set up, (I'm a total novice, and it took me around 20 mins first time, then a few minutes each time after that) and it finds EVERYTHING first time, extremely accurately. Jupiter is amazing on a good night, and the Orion nebula will take your breath away. Pleides are beautiful.

Whatever you buy, DON'T expect 'Hubble' images - then you won't be disappointed.

If you could get those kind of images with a 'home' scope, even ones costing mega-thousands, then NASA and ESA wouldn't have wasted millions on Hubble!

Be realistic with your expectations and you won't be unhappy, whatever you buy.

Roy.

What I have done is to have the telescope outside together with a wifi-enabled laptop and the webcam and telescope connected to that laptop. I then connect from a desktop machine in the house to the laptop and am able to see its screen and click on anything that needs clicking or typing. I can watch the webcam output from indoors and also send the telescope to new targets. It takes me 40 minutes minimum to set everything up.

Dazzst, please. You really should listen to some of the advice being given here. Without wanting to be harsh, what you are doing here is like asking for advice on what's the best kit to win tennis matches without setting foot on a tennis court. People are giving you the best advice they can, but practical astronomy at this level involves wrapping up warm and going outside in the dark. It takes effort, even with seriously expensive equipment. You cannot buy from new the kit needed to get appreciable astrophotgraphy results on the budget you're on, and even if you could, you cannot do so without going outside.

You need to rethink how you're approaching this, or else you're looking at disappointment. An astronomy club can give you excellent advice and show you equipment, but astronomy is a study, and telescopes are merely tools which can help with that study. To save you hassle and probably money, before you get a telescope I recommend getting a book, such as Turn Left at Orion, to give an idea of what to expect. We've all seen the colourful pictures produced by powerful telescopes, but much of what amateur astronomers do is sit outside peering at faint grey fuzzy patches in the night sky. It takes a special kind of nerd to get excited about this - it's a passion which money can't buy. Getting yourself (and Zoe) into the right frame of mind is the first step.

And I too recommend the SkyMax 127. A fantastic telescope, but even with PC control and webcam, it won't work if you don't go outside and make it work. Doing this is fun.

Sorry if that was too blunt.

What I have done is to have the telescope outside together with a wifi-enabled laptop and the webcam and telescope connected to that laptop. I then connect from a desktop machine in the house to the laptop and am able to see its screen and click on anything that needs clicking or typing. I can watch the webcam output from indoors and also send the telescope to new targets. It takes me 40 minutes minimum to set everything up.

And looking at your sig you have a damn sight more gear that the OP is proposing. :)

If you're prepared to sit outside with a cheapo pair of binoculars for a few hours with a thick coat, scarf, gloves and a thermos, you're off to a good start.

After that, ANY reasonable telescope is a good deal.

I love my Skywatcher 130p goto, but the very next thing I bought was a wooly hat and fingerless gloves.

Hubble pics certainly are amazing, but they don't come close to peering through a scope at a fuzzy blob in the cold and dark for yourself.

Roy

Just a thought...

If anyone doesnt like the idea of setting up a scope, getting cold, searching, peering at fuzzzy blobs, then take up knitting etc.....

It's a bit like buying a plastic model kit, and expecting to open the box and find the kit already built.......

Roy.

Aren't those called "toys"? :)

Enough said.

OK folks, the original poster has asked a number of questions on different approaches to the hobby and has had a lot of information in response to absorb and consider.

Lets let them do that without being disrespectful. It's a complex hobby equipment-wise and getting your head around what is and what isn't feasible within a certain budget and other constraints is not easy.

Fair point, John. I apologise.

What I will suggest that since he's set on video astronomy, perhaps the best angle would be to also look on youtube for videos taken through specific telescopes. More than normal these actually will show you what you will see.

Guys,

Please understand from a newbie's point of view that there may be those starters, like us, who don't currently have the experience or passion that many of you seasoned astronomers have. Nor do we have the knowledge as to what the best course of action should be. That's why I'm here.

From my very first question I have been swayed to a reflector. This hasn't changed. Nor has our budget. I understand that ANY extras will be exactly that.

I understand, albeit partially, that any video image will not be as good as looking through the EP. I have also been advised that using the webcam to image (layering) will provide better quality images but takes time.

What I can tell you is that Zoe will certainly enjoy the hobby controlling the scope and viewing images from the comfort of her bedroom and her mac a lot more than going outside in the cold. She can then decide, based on her intelligence and learning, what she next wants to do with the hobby.

It's just that it's quite an unusual request, a starter fully robotic telescope. I'd be surprised you could get one for your budget. I did hear of someone using a Celestron SE via their iPhone but those SEs are not cheap. Anyway, this is way out of my knowledge area so I'll bow out.

Archived