Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C8-NGT

Hi all,

you have been patiently answering questions about how to improve my Nexstar SLT 102 for a few weeks now. I am returning it as I suspect there is a fault somewhere optically (aside from numerous minor niggles) - thanks for your advice in the Learning Zone. I have thoroughly enjoyed the 102 in the month I've had it but instantly realised that it wasn't the best at seeing fainter objects. I am unlikely to take up imaging seriously at the moment - I just love the peaceful pleasure of observing right now. Aperture is apparently where it's at so rather than accessorising a small scope I am about GO LARGE! Telescope House are happy to exchange the 102 and I am considering the GOTO C8 (I know it's lazy but the tracking is nice). I think I'm up to the job of fiddling more to get it set up - I masochistically enjoy that sort of thing! Any advice before I part with my cash? Can I use my 2" ED barlow with it? How long does set up actually take once you have the hang of it? Is it transportable in the boot of a car for dark sites?

Excited all over again, Huw.

First be aware that the C8 is an 8" SCT, whereas the C8N (the 'scope I think you mean) is an 8" Newtonian.

Other than that i think your plan is a good one. The CG5 is a great mount for the price (although be aware it's noisy when slewing!!). If your budget can afford it look at the skywatcher explorer 200, which is the identical optical tube on the HEQ5 mount.

Also consider a 10" or larger dob for the same money.... No tracking, but as you say, aperture is everything!!

Like Gordon said, the C8 is not the same as the C8N. The first is a SCT type, the second is a Newt. and I'd agree with the rest of what he said as well. :) What I'm trying to say is that we need to offer opinions on what you are asking about, if that makes any sense, rather than what we think you are asking about.

Personally I'd opt for the Skywatcher 200mm Newt. and HEQ5, but that's probably 'cos I have one and I'm happy with it.

Captain Chaos

Huw, if you're looking for a C8N GT, I did a review on my one a while back...

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?topic=12505.0

Once you get the hang of polar alignment and balancing the tube on the mount and actually putting it all together, it takes 10 mins tops to be ready for star alignment. The tube itself is 1 metre long (37" in old money) and easily fits across the back seats of most cars so it shouldn't be too difficult to lug around.

But, as KK and Gordon have already said. The Skywatcher/HEQ5 combo is another choice. Much better mount especially if you want to get into long exposure photography and you can upgrade the mount for GOTO as and when you fancy it. The scope is from the same manufacturer so there's no difference there.

Can't help you with the SCT version, I've never owned one....

Have you thought about getting down to your local astro society and chatting to some people there? They should give you a couple of pointers too..

Tony..

Once you get the hang of polar alignment and balancing the tube on the mount and actually putting it all together, it takes 10 mins tops to be ready for star alignment.

Agreed. IMO the C8NGT is good value for money. As said before the mount is noisy when slewing at higher speeds - noisy enough to make me worry about disturbing the neighbours!!

Have you thought about getting down to your local astro society and chatting to some people there? They should give you a couple of pointers too..

Excellent advice - you never know someone there may have one you can try or others to compare with??

Cheers

Bill£

Thanks all for the advice,

after careful consideration I have decided to stick with a refractor - a C6R, not Goto as I couldn't stretch to that. The C8N GT is good value for money but I really liked the snappy optics of my 102 and was a bit worried about upsetting my new neighbours with noisy slewing (moving next month). I did consider a C6S but again cost was an issue. I think I'm going to be frowned at by my wife when the corner of our living room is filled by it.

I have various bits now that are refractor friendly like a nice 2" dielecric diagonal and fringe killer filter - though a focal ratio of 8 shouldn't be too bad and you can acheive 12 for planets by using the included 4" aperture stop. I read up on using an Eq mount at http://www.astronomyboy.com/eq/ and reckon I'll enjoy the traditional approach (ask me in a week). I know you probably think I'm barking for not going with a big aperture newt but it just appealed to me. I have been along to Swansea astronomical society meetings but if I'm honest not a lot of practical advice was to be gained - I do now have the number of the chap with keys to our 2 local observatories though!

I'm not sure if anybody else uses one of these, I couldn't find any reference to C6R in the search section. I will report back in due course and bring it along to a star party in future.

I must acknowledge the help of Telescope Planet and Telescope House over the last month, they have been very patient with me, I ask a lot of questions!

Thanks again for helping me decide, even if it appears I didn't listen, Huw.

Great choice Hew, the C6R is a fantastic scope, but be prepared for the size of it hehe, it really is a "Yard Canon"! The beauty and simplicity of the refractor really does work well. Zero central obstruction and near zero maintenance. Whilst you might miss the tracking you can add it at a later date, and even add the Skywatcher EQ5 GOTO kit to the mount when finances allow. It's no bad thing to learn the sky and use the best GOTO computer known to man..... your brain and 2 eyes!

I look forward to your first light report and some photos of your new kit!

Good choice mate, since you already have a good diagonal and fringe killer it'd be rude not to really :)! And as Gordon has already mentioned, you can always get a GOTO upgrade if you so fancy (I think they're about £350 ish). A lot of people say that a reflector minus the size of the central obstruction (ie: secondary mirror) is as good as an equivilent refractor in a lot of respects. So taking that theory into practice, the C8N has a 2.2" secondary mirror. So 8 - 2.2 =5.8, nothing in it really. Make sure you give us a first list report in the reviews section eh?

Tony..

Cheers Tony,

thats the way I saw it in the end. It took 4 hours of intense Googling to reach my decision but I enjoy the research/buying as much as the using. I'm packing the 102 away now for collection tomorrow and I'm concerned that the new one is going to be twice the size. Whats that they say about men with fast cars and big telescopes?

Archived