Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars - 15 January 2012

DarkerSky

This was sketched from my 12" between 00-25UT and 01-00UT on 15 January. Seeing was very poor IV - V, so very difficult to pin down any detail. That said, I managed a nice view of the polar cap and the dark collar of material around it. Also glimpsed Mare Acidalium rotating onto the disc down in the bottom right. The darker stripe of material to top is Sinus Sabeaus. There also appeared to be some fainter markings in the northern Arabian region.

Mars-15January2012.png

12" x192 magnification.

Used red filter to boost contrast.

hi nice draw, we was looking the other night for a 200p and 6mm we saw the cap and a dark feature and a L shaped feature at the bottom nice well drawn

Good spot. Its possible the L shaped feature was mare acidalium. That is generally the most promienent dark feature in the north (bottom view for reflectors / dobs) near the polar cap, with the exception of the dark collar that runs around the edge of the cap

Seb

I was just 'comparing' our drawings and was wondering if you could suggest one or two filters that may help in getting detail from say Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.

I only have a few spaces left in my manual True-Tech wheel (2") and was thinking along the lines of an Orange - Wratten No21 and a no 82a Very Light Blue. Both have over 40% transmission to aid smaller scopes which I'm told is the best way to go (rather than say a deep red or 80a darker blue that have only 17-20% transmission).

Or what about a Baader Neodymium filter or similar..?

Thanks in advance.

Regards and clear skies,

Damian

Seb

I was just 'comparing' our drawings and was wondering if you could suggest one or two filters that may help in getting detail from say Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.

I only have a few spaces left in my manual True-Tech wheel (2") and was thinking along the lines of an Orange - Wratten No21 and a no 82a Very Light Blue. Both have over 40% transmission to aid smaller scopes which I'm told is the best way to go (rather than say a deep red or 80a darker blue that have only 17-20% transmission).

Or what about a Baader Neodymium filter or similar..?

Thanks in advance.

Regards and clear skies,

Damian

Hi Damian - I have both the 21 and the 80a. I have always seemed to get a benefit from orange and red filters. For Mars in 2010 I wouldn't have been without the 25, 23a and 21. They just boosted the visibility of the low contrast markings really well. Light transmission on the orange i think is fairly good.

I have yellow, green and blue filters too. Results for me have not been that great with those, and I rarely use them, although the yellow gave me a better view of some of the martian clouds last time around.

I am yet to try the baader neodymium on Mars. I didn't have it last time, but it might well turn out that this is the best filter to have if you have limited space on your wheel. I have been (and continue to be) completely stunned at the amount of detail I get off Jupiter using the neodymium filter compared to the unfiltered view. Very good light transmission too.

Would be interesting to hear others experiences too I think.

Just to add a bit too from my Norton's star atlas about filters and Mars

"44a blue, 47 violet and 58 green filters aid the detection of white clouds and surface frosts."

Thanks for the tips Seb - will take a look at the baader filter then and possibly the orange to start with. I did see somewhere that trying a UHC can also work - I must try that one out as it's sitting in the wheel - never thought to use it last time out!

Damian

Archived