NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help! PST, Toucam and K3CCD

Helen

I'm trying to get some solar pictures and its doing my head in!!

Think I've got focus reasonable with toucam and barlow screwed in. Got some proms, but can't spot the sunspots (and how can you miss them at the moment :))

Been fiddling with the K3CCD settings - can anyone give me a pointer on where to start please (gain, saturation, shutter speed, gamma etc)? There seem to be so many variables that my chances of winning the lottery (even though I don't play!) seem higher than my chances of getting the right settings by fiddling!! (and its getting very warm under my blanket over my laptop while |I try!)

Thanks you in advance!

Helen

Helen, you need much shorter shutter speeds and lower gain (at the bottom if you can) for sunspots. If you have proms on your image you need to up the shutter speed to about 4X as fast to see the spots, otherwise they will be overexposed. Even the "black" bit of a spot will be brighter than a prom.

HTH

Captain Chaos

Archived