Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

'Operation Sagittarius' is a go... sneaky astro holiday

rocketandroll

I was wondering if anyone else has, or was planning to sneak a bit of astro into their holidays? :-)

My wife has just booked us a short break via one of these newspaper deals.... and I managed to wrangle the location and dates...

A coastal site, on a clifftop, south west facing, in Devon, in mid June :-)

To be fair, she is aware (from the fact I was sitting checking moon rise/set times for the dates in Stellarium) that I had an alterior motive... but it does look like a nice site anyway, and it's near my aunt and uncle who I've been promising to visit for a long while :-)

The plan is to do a couple of late nights and catch a few targets in Sagittarius that are harder from here on the east coast.

Fingers crossed we actually have some clear skies that week! :-)

Ben

Sounds lovely... Devon is a great place?

My wife did something similar a few years ago.

She booked a log cabin at Kelling Heath - one of the darkest places in the UK... she booked it for end of June. I remember sitting out drinking a beer at 1am wondering why it was still light!!!

The trouble with these dark sites is that you really do notice the light nights :D

Ant

My wife and I often sail on the Queen Mary 2 and they have the Royal Astronomical Society on board. On our last voyage from Hong Kong to Southampton (34 days!), Dr Fransico Diego of the RAS gave several lectures and I ended up assisting him on the "Stargazing nights" on deck 13. We had wonderful views in the South China Sea, Indian Ocean and Red Sea using the ships 12" dobs. All that and luxury too! The wife loved it.

Not to put a downer but mid June the sun doesnt set till 10pm over here :)

Still theres as many Cream Teas and Scrumpy that you will ever need :D

Yep, I know... theres only a few hours of dark in June... but Sagittarius is only up June to Aug and we wanted to go outside of the school holidays so June was the only option.

It'll be fine... I was imaging in June last year no probs.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Archived