Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Results of some of the last few days : M78 on the SuperNewt

Catanonia

I have eventually got around to imaging on the new scope after all the well documented messing with alignment, collimation, tilts, spacing, reducer problems to name a few. I still have a bit of work to be done on the scope to perfect it but it is nearly there. However there was no way I was going to miss out on the glorious clear weather we have been having lately.

One of my all time favorites and nemisis targets is M78 - The Dark Reflection Nebula in Orion. I have tried this many times with previous scopes and failed miserably. So I just had to try the new scope out on it.

Here is the previous "best attempt" on M78 using the Skywatcher MN190 with Off Axis Guiding on the QHY9 + filters.

52639d1299418760-m78-dark-nebula-orion-m78.jpg

This was 3 hours LRGB and I think 5 mins subs at 2 x bin and this was all I could get out of the MN190 from my location in good weather. I used binning to try and grab the data and keep guiding as I was getting no where with long guided unbinned images greater than 10mins.

Here is the result using the new TS SuperNewt 200mm carbon newtonian running at F2.8 568mm focal length, about 1/2 that of the of the MN190 and almost 4x as fast.

The image comprises of 100mins per LRGB channel in 5 minutes, so in total just over 6 worth all unbinned subs and similar conditions to my previous attempt. Everything else was the same, other than the scope.

Not a great image, but definately a vast improvement over the older scope and I am pleased. In now really need to step up my processing skills. I think a new set of darks are in order as this scopes photon gathering power is really showing the flaws in my procesess. I have had to learn to be "precise" with flats and it looks like I need to be the same with darks and bias instead of "that will do".

I hope you like this as much as I am pleased that I am eventually getting this scope to work.

I have learnt so much in a very short amount of time about newtonians, collimation, flats etc etc and I want to thank everyone in the imaging discussion section, especially Tim, Graig and Blinky for putting up with my endless rants and raves :D

M78%20SuperNewt%20Small.jpg

That's a marked difference isn't it? Star shapes still need some work - and I know all about that as I'm still suffering from star shapes that I'm not happy about. I know you have been battling with collimation - and with a 'scope as fast as yours, that is always going to be a problem but I'm pretty sure that my current star issues are collimation linked so hopefully we'll both resolve the issue.

Back to your image, I love the colours in the nebulosity.

You must be well pleased with this Cat, just look at the star colours !

Very reminiscent of OO AG pics, but then again theyare fast newts as well so it should be.

What's the next target?

I have to process.

M33 : About 5 hours worth, 3 min subs

NGC 1333 : Currently running on 8min subs at F2.8 !!!!! :D:eek::) : 5 Hours in already with another 5+ hours to run.

Polaris region : experiment on 2min unguided subs : Was bored :)

All the rest has been trail and error to get this scope up and running, lost the 1st proper clear night due to pinched optics and me not knowing how to use a newtonian :)

I know you have been battling with collimation - and with a 'scope as fast as yours, that is always going to be a problem but I'm pretty sure that my current star issues are collimation linked so hopefully we'll both resolve the issue.

Well Steve, when we both get it sorted, let's buy each other a big beer. Thanks BTW for all the help in the imaging discussion section, missed you out of my Kate Winslet oscar blub :D

Cracking image :D

What software did you use on this?

The usual PI and CS5.

Flats were a xxxxxx (insert your word of choice) The speed of this scope and the data it gathers really shows up your flaws and in my case there are many as I have only been doing this a wee while.

Tonight I got home from work, set about processing some data before the next imaging session and realised that all my images had patterns all over them, BAD... Tracked it down to bad flats. But they were ok.. Nope, QHY shutter interaction and light leaks because I didn't have a perfectly uniform field of light.

So 1st few hours tonight was taking more flats immediately incase the image train moved. Luckily I have the scope in a Observatory on the tripod and I leave the fans running all day with the covers off to ensure it stays prestine.

PI is great, but if your subs are bad and or your flats are bad, then you are up a creek without a paddle.

One thing I have definately learnt, take your time, get it right and "that will do" will "not do" with fast scopes.

NGC 1333, 5 hours, and getting too low, need sleep so switching to the Leo Triplet for the rest of the night and sleep :D

Set up for a run of RGB @ 3 min subs for about 6 hours. Close to 40ish subs per RGB. Quite excited as to what will come out if the weather holds and Leo rises high enough over the next doors roof whilst I am in bed :)

Big difference in the scopes Cat!

As Steve says, great dust colour, and lovely star colour.

Could do with more exposure to get the colour noise down, but you must be well pleased :D

Rob

thanks mate, I think my darks are at fault giving the noise. I might try a process without them, or take some more. After all this was with over 20 subs per channel.

Ceretainly worth checking the darks. This has got some really faint data though, so 20 subs isn't really a whole lot when you start to stretch hard to bring out the faint detail in the dust....oh for Olly's skies where you can bash away night after night!

Ceretainly worth checking the darks. This has got some really faint data though, so 20 subs isn't really a whole lot when you start to stretch hard to bring out the faint detail in the dust....oh for Olly's skies where you can bash away night after night!

I just wish for Ollys skies. I am going to give this a bash without the darks to see what happens.

Archived