NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DFK 21AU04.AS vs SPC900NC: how much better do pictures get

The sensor used in the DFK is the ICX098BQ, which is the same one used in Philips' PCVC740, which has been around since 2004.

The spec. for the DFK's says they will send you uncompressed (i.e. lossless) video. I don't believe the Philips webcams can do this at rates above 5 FPS.

So with a DFK you'll be able to fill your disk up much quicker.

Old DBK/DFK21 are quicker (up to 30 FPS free of artifacts) and use no compression. Newer DBK/DFK21AU618 use a newer CCD which is much more sensitive allowing either lower exposures or lower gain recordings.

For low altitude targets like Saturn every color camera will be limited by atmospheric dispersion (either a corrector or workarounds required).

The sensor used in the DFK is the ICX098BQ, which is the same one used in Philips' PCVC740, which has been around since 2004.

The spec. for the DFK's says they will send you uncompressed (i.e. lossless) video. I don't believe the Philips webcams can do this at rates above 5 FPS.

So with a DFK you'll be able to fill your disk up much quicker.

Even at 5fps the SPC900 has to compress the data significantly...

640 pixels width * 480 pixels height * 5 frames per second * 8 bits per colour * 3 colours = 36864000 bits per second

USB1.1 supports up to 12 megabits per second, so only a third of the bandwidth required for uncompressed 5fps.

If the SPC900 sent raw data to the PC and then debayered on the PC it could work at very low compression, but experience of the device in 'raw' mode indicates that it doesn't work that way.

Robin

Archived