NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

how to motorise alt/az question

I recently bought a second hand Celestron c80ed and alt/az tripod/mount, Is it possible to add a motor to track objects? I just get into gazing at Jupiter and have to fiddle the knobs, I also need to get a chart to find other objects,(might find out on BBC tonight!!)

Is the mount you have the AZ-3 or similar ? (see the pic below). If so, I don't think it can be motorised. You can get alt-az mounts that are motorised and also that have GOTO if that's your need but the motors / controler circuits are integral to the design.

If you do have an AZ-3 or similar it tracks quite well using the slow motion controls - well enough to follow an object at 150x which would be around the max for an ED80.

post-12764-133877718514_thumb.jpg

I don't think you can add a tracking motor to an alt/az tripod, the only ones I know of already come with motors, you can't upgrade to them as far as I know, as the tracking would be impossible because of the nature of alt/az mounts, they must be already built in, as are the bought ones.

Archived