NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Feeling the frustration now..

Quatermass

Last night was such a lovely clear night I stayed out there till gone 3 in the morning. I was imaging M101 for the second time and it took me ages to find it, I mean ages :D So when I finally got it on my camera I took 60 subs in darker skies but the frustration of not having a guided system is really getting to me now:( half the subs were ruined by trailing and the results were not much better then my first attempt which was better despite light pollution.

However turning away from M101 and finding the Leo Triplets for the first time was certainly better :o I managed to grab 15 subs and get this dire effort from them but will be back on this one again later on in the month. Leo is up at around 2pm in the morning for a decent crack at them so going to wait.

I wish some one had warned me about the frustrations of astrophotography and how cold I would get sitting out there all night long. Still, no pain no gain. Its only right we share the frustrations with each other I feel.

Heres my sorry results.:) But it was thrill finding the Triplets for the first time :D

Leo%252520triplets%252520master.jpg

Get yourself that st4 port on order QM!! then its only a few extra cables for you with your LVI thingy and your sorted...:)

Anyway even with a bit of trailing and relatively short exposure time you still managed to capture some structure! I can't wait to have a go at these three.....

Hmm.....they're up around 2 in the morning you say...? I haven't got work tomorrow and its suppose to be clear tonight....hmm tempting...:D

Its the inverse rule for Astrophotography. The more frustrating the object or problems that occur, the better the reward when the pic is completed.

I would recommend the guide set up,I think its essential really.

Nice triplet to make the night worthwhile.

Looking for ward to the BBC star gazing live tonight. Last years was good and it was totally cloudy. Tonight looks clear in the UK

Tom.

Its coming Stan, cant stand the frustration of throwing away subs that have trailing on them any more. But the triplets eased my angst last night and star gazing live will cheer me up as well. You might be having a better view of the triplets them me I have a big tree in the way so have to wait till it gets high enough to clear them.

Anyway mate, you think its frustrating without guiding..........ha ha ha.....

The real frustration isn't untill you are guiding.....

Stan :)

I can imagine the troubles a head but your image of the Orion Nebula must make all that frustration worth it Stan. I think my biggest head ach is going to be the finder scope getting dew all over it and losing the tracking star. That and everything else lol:rolleyes:

To get the images that you are getting is very impressive especially without guiding. To cure the dew on the finder scope, I sacrificed an old mouse mat, folded around and then taped up - It works a treat.

Thats a good idea John I have lots of old mouse mats laying around :) thanks for the tip,

I have been taken all my picture unguided for a year now and there does come a point when you realize that you cant go the distance like that for long. These galaxy's need longer exposure times to capture fine detail as well. Still looking on the bright side its been a great deal of fun and very educating finding all these new things in the sky. I hope our next batch of newcomers from Star gazing live will enjoy finding them all as well.

I can imagine the troubles a head but your image of the Orion Nebula must make all that frustration worth it Stan. I think my biggest head ach is going to be the finder scope getting dew all over it and losing the tracking star. That and everything else lol:rolleyes:

Dew isn't a problem for my finder thanks to pringles crisps tube :) it fits my 60mm guide scope perfectly! Just improvise as you go along mate.

Lossing the star is the main one, and you'll find its all in the DEC, so you need to get any DEC backlash adjusted......

Stan

QM, good news the caravan going, do you have any hair left, i hear horror stories about guiding, but like everything its over in a week or so, my time won't come until for a couple of months, i took a part time job to pay for this hobby and i'm working my way through a long list of gear i need...good job on the Triplets...

I still seem to have a full head of hair but maybe that will change when I start guiding. I guess its all a learning curve and a wallet emptying exercise, still it could be booze fags or loose woman that takes my money and leaves me out in the cold at least this way I keep my sanity.Just.

Archived