Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

first light not going to plan

Last night new scope not set up - freezing cold but the skies were crystal clear - today took my time ,set up my scope Skywatcher 200P Dob - clouds everywhere - typical - never mind.

Took the opportunity to try and align the spotting scope.

I live in a small cul de sac so finding an object about 500metres away in a direct line of sight was not that easy but on a hill overlooking us - perhaps 3/4 of a mile away is a small farm house - found it in the spotting scope but no matter what I tried to do I could not focus in on it with the main scope (using the standard 25mm lens that comes with the Scope) - my neighbours garage about 30 metres away - no problem focussing on his garage roof but the more distant objects - just could not get focussed at all which is worrying me a little bearing in mind what we want our scopes to do.

Is this usual? is it possible I need to colimate the scope (I haven't tried yet as I read they should be pretty much fixed straight out of the factory and also the cheshire piece I bought from FLO arrived in pieces today so I have to send it back on Monday)

I'm hoping theres a simple explanation for this- I really don't want to send this scope back before I've even started yet.

Also I can already tell that the spotting scope is going to give me back ache but also a little confused as whether to get a telrad or a right angle scope of some nature - anyway - one thing at a time

appreciate your thoughts

Steve

This seems to be a common issue and is caused, judging by other posts on this, by using the wrong adapter with the eyepiece. With the Skywatcher scopes you either have the 1.25" adapter in the focuser or the 2" one - not both. Using both moves the eyepiece to a position where it will not focus on distant objects.

I was using a 200P dob last night (helping a fellow astronomer) and it is by far more confortable using an adjustable stool or chair like an ironing chair, and a right angle finder scope. If you're aiming the scope high it's just nuts to bend down so low for the finder - especially if you have a dogey back like mine.

It'll make your whole experience much more enjoyable :)

John - thanks a lot thats exactly what I was doing stacking the convertors then adding the lens- how stupid - never mind I'll give it another go tommorrow assuming the clouds are going to continue to spoil things tonight.

brantuk - your spot on with the chair - in the end I just had to get one off the patio - I think its the way forward for sure - with the right angle spot finder - assuming I go for this does that mean theres no red spot finder or telrad with this configuration - one or the other I guess?

Thanks for your help both - much appreciated

Steve

Archived