Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Mars - 7am 14 Jan 2012

stargazerlily

Hi everyone,

Was up bright and very early this morning in order to try and image Mars. I had a few problems getting Mars in the web cam FOV ... time was running out as the sun was coming up, changing the sky from dark to light blue.

But finally managed to capture a few videos ... wa-hoo!!

This was taken at about 7.30am using a SW200P and a x2 Barlow (plus Philips web cam) ... plus some post breakfast tweaking in Registax.

Thanks

Pete

post-24529-133877716909_thumb.jpg

Very nice Pete :) Managed the polar cap and some darker features.

Have you got a stronger Barlow or something to use as an extension tube between the Barlow and Camera?

Mars is struggling to cover 19 pixels at the current scale which is far below the capabilities of the setup you have.

Very nice Pete :) Managed the polar cap and some darker features.

Have you got a stronger Barlow or something to use as an extension tube between the Barlow and Camera?

Mars is struggling to cover 19 pixels at the current scale which is far below the capabilities of the setup you have.

Thanks. Yes, I do have a Tal x3 Barlow. I had a go at using it but could get Mars into the FOV. With hind sight I think the focus was way out so I couldn't see it on the lap top screen ... if I had more time and more darkness then I might have seen it ... ah well I'm sure there will be other times.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete, here is a suggestion next time try to use both x3 and x2 barlows (on top of each other to give x6). You will then get an image that is near the limit of the scope you have.

If you like the result the next step for me was to buy a x5 powermate :-)

Dror

Hi Pete, here is a suggestion next time try to use both x3 and x2 barlows (on top of each other to give x6). You will then get an image that is near the limit of the scope you have.

If you like the result the next step for me was to buy a x5 powermate :-)

Dror

Thanks mate. I didn't think about piggy-backing the two Barlows together.

This is spooky because your post coincided with me posting a question in the Equipment - Eyepieces section about a x5 Powermate and whether it was too much for my scope. Do you use a x5 with a 200p scope?

Cheers

Pete

Archived