Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bit of a Change

Steve777

Got an hour out in the Lincs countryside this evening: wish it was longer, but it did make a bit of a difference.

The first thing I noticed was the increased number of "iron bars" visible in the scope. Slightly more detail was visible in M31, i.e. now the "smudge" had some evidence of light projecting from either side. M36 and M38 were both much more distinctly visible: I tried the double cluster but it was positioned at the zenith, somewhat annoyingly!! M35 was clearer too.

The Orion Nebula was much better at medium power than from the garden, much more of the nebula structure was evident. Venus was bright and I could see no phase apparent. But a huge difference there was with Jupiter: I'm restricted to medium power and the eyepieces that came with the scope, but I think that was my best view, two bands clearer apparent, plus some hint of detail/more colour at the poles. It struck me that a moon was close to the north of the planet (through the scope at least).

Steve

Archived