Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Using celestron 103 for astro-photography

Hi,

Is anyone using a celestron or similar newtonian reflector for photography?

I have purchased a small adapter for my camera but this hooks over the 1.25" eye piece and isn't a proper fit!

Can you properly mount a camera to something like the astromaster 130?

Freelander86

Any chance you can advise what camera you have?? On my own set up i have a canon 550d slr, i have fitted to that a bit of kit that replaces the lens of the camera. Basically you put the 1/25 adapter on the front of the camera and then put that into where the eyepieces go on the scope, basically turning your camera into the eye piece if that makes sense. If it is a small digital camera you have then the easy option is to get a rig that holds the camera over the eyepice on the scope.

I've used the AstroMaster 130 for AP but didn't get very good results (I thought). Used DSLR with Barlow for moon and sun (white mode with Baader film filter) and MS LifeCam Cinema HD on Saturn. I upgraded to a SW Evostar 80 ED DS Pro. Smaller aperture but significantly better quality. The supplied Celestron mount and tripod aren't really up to AP except for lunar and solar.

Maybe using the webcam will be a better solution for the 130...

Gina - Did you have to do much to the MS lifecam HD? Ive seen a few mods that look a little worrying... If I can just secure to an old film tube and find the correct focus would that be enough?

It's a devil of a thing to take apart to get the lens assembly out - very fiddly with difficult to get at tiny screws. Most webcams are easy and with some you can just unscrew the lens and attach the camera to a tube to use in the focuser. You can even get a ready made adapter for webcams based on the "board camera" lenses like the Philips SPC 880/900 NC.

Should say... that's if you want to use the webcam at prime focus. For afocal use you could just make up a way to hold it in front of an eyepiece and keep it's lens.

I wouldn't be so sure - you may be surprised :) Try it. The worst thing about a webcam is usually the lens. Take that off and a lot of them will be much the same. It's amazing how often you find the same imaging chip used in several different different makes. A CCD one like the Philips will be most sensitive but the latest CMOS chips are getting pretty close.

BTW the MS LifeCam uses a CMOS imaging chip.

Archived