Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

4.5" minidob project, some progress

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Finally I can post some progress on the minidob for the kids project. I have the main tube assembly almost finished, with the focuser and main mirror mounting (salvaged from the old Konus 4.5" F=500mm Newtonian) in place. The photographs do not show four of the panels of the tube.

As you can see, the focuser has been mounted with its curved base plate on the inside of the (flat) side panel of the octagonal tube. This gives just a bit more in-focus, and allows me to fit a set of tuning screws to fine-tune the angle of the focuser. The curved plate sits just outside the optical pathway.

Since I took these pics, I have also mounted the secondary, and I will mount some fine-tuning screws for that as well.

post-18313-133877716495_thumb.jpg

post-18313-133877716498_thumb.jpg

post-18313-133877716503_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

nice project. Could You explain a little bit more (maybe some more pics) about holding mirror cell? How You gone collimate and lock mirror in position?

Thanks

I used the mirror cell out of the old scope but replaced the M6 screws with longer ones. I then drilled three holes 6mm holes in the base of the scope, and widened them from the rear to 9mm to halfway the thickness of the wood. I then could fit the collimation nuts onto the screws. I still have to drill three holes for the locking screws.

I will post more photos later.

Archived