NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Foam packaging for camera case?

Carl*

Hi

I've managed to find a really good camera/flight case free of charge.

The upper lid has egg shell foam attached, but the deep lower section has no foam or dividers!

Where can i get some foam?

I have searched the web and found a couple of places, but they want almost £20 for a block measuring 10 x 35 x 40cm!!!

I think thats a bit excessive to say the least!

also, what is the foam called? is it simply packing foam?

Thanks

ps, its for my Canon DSLR and accessories.

Expensive though! :icon_scratch: I'm sure there must be cheaper sources of polyether foam. Many years ago I used to get it from a chain of shops called Transatlantic Plastics but I think they went bust years ago :D How about furniture manufacturers' sources - they use polyether foam in cushions. Or maybe get cheap cushions from pound shops etc. and cut it yourself with a Stanley knife.

Expensive though! :icon_scratch: I'm sure there must be cheaper sources of polyether foam. Many years ago I used to get it from a chain of shops called Transatlantic Plastics but I think they went bust years ago :D How about furniture manufacturers' sources - they use polyether foam in cushions. Or maybe get cheap cushions from pound shops etc. and cut it yourself with a Stanley knife.

If you don't go for the pick n pluck IIRC it was about £9 for a rectangle big enough to fill a Maplins case, and any bought in excess of that was half price

Expensive though! :) I'm sure there must be cheaper sources of polyether foam. Many years ago I used to get it from a chain of shops called Transatlantic Plastics but I think they went bust years ago :DHow about furniture manufacturers' sources - they use polyether foam in cushions. Or maybe get cheap cushions from pound shops etc. and cut it yourself with a Stanley knife.
Unfortunately the foam used in upholstery is high grade stuff (and expensive). It has to withstand the force of a 20st. bum crushing it for hours on end, and then pop back into shape as if nothing had happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a local supplier when it came to replacing the foam in peli cases. The one I used is in Leyland so not exactly close but it is a company that do the foam for upholstery. It cost me £8 for a mid sized peli case's foam including the bumped foam for the top and the bottom bit cut into 3 slices to make cutting easier. Have a look for upholstery foam places near you and pop in with the case.

Archived