Total Novice

Hi,

I have been interested in starting astronomy for some time and eventually bought a Skywatcher 130P as a first scope. The set-up is as it comes (no additinal lenses).

What can I expect from the set-up, and do I really need to be looking for better lenses to get the best from the kit?

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I think the first thing is to go outside and enjoy your scope as it is.

When you learn your way around your scope and associated kit, then think about weaknesses and improvements.

For now, look for easy targets. Jupiter with it's moons and cloud bands for example. you can spend all evening just looking around the moon.

Worry about kit improvements later.

David.

David,

Many thanks for the advice. The weather looks like it is going to be favourable for the next couple of nights so I'll get stuck in.

I've already had some great moon views over the last week or so, but still getting to grips with the EQ mount set-up etc.

Very many thanks

Matt

I agree with David. Take your time over this.

View the Moon and planets and perhaps some of the brighter clusters, galaxies and the Orion nebula.

130mm of aperture should be able to see quite a few things (depending on how light polluted your skies are), once you know your way around the sky a bit better.

Enjoy your scope.

Thanks for all the advice.

I live in a built-up area (town centre), how much difference does light pollution make and is there anything I can do to overcome/limit the problems??

There is a book specifically on Urban Stargazing by Rod Mollise.

Essentially the way to beat light pollution rest on several things:

- Large aperture

- Long focal length for easy magnification to increase contrast

- Block all ambient light using screens or shroud your head.

I agree completely with trying it first to see how you go. I took the plunge mid last year with a SW 150P and have been quite happily using the stock lenses. It's only now that I feel I can make a sensible decision about what upgrades I want.

For instance, over time what i initially thought was good for looking at jupiter has become frustrating, as I've wanted to see more and have got annoyed at how quickly things move out of sight (to start with I was just amazed at being able to see anything!!). So my first upgrade has been a new high power ep with a much wider field of view - I couldn't have made as good a selection without a little experience though.

Archived