Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stuck in EP Procrastination Hell!

I must have spent at least 20 hours over the past week poring over a mind boggling array of EP choices. Was eventually torn between getting a Baader Hyperion Zoom as a jack of all trades but have finally opted for the Revelation Kit after advice taken from here about the overall quality of fixed EP's compared to zooms.

Have hopefully made the right choice to compliment my new scope. The supplied 25mm is ok but the 10mm is a bit 'meh'. The kit seemed remarkably good value with the filters, camera adaptor and extra barlow thrown in.

Will let you know how I get on! :icon_scratch:

The kit's a good upgrade to standard kit lenses. A big surprise I found with using the set was the filters. I was a bit dubious about how much use they get but I've been using them non stop. The moon filter is excellent at toning down brightness and enhancing the detail. Using the 15 mm and the moon filter is a nice combination. I've been using the violet and yellow filters a lot with Jupiter and they're excellent at bringing the detail out. The 32 mm lense gives a really pleasing view of the Pleiades. The barlow does it's job well, it's possibly the weakest element of the whole set but is adequate for the task. All in all it's a good set and will retain it's resale value well for when you eventually upgrade further. A good choice of sets to buy...

Am in the same situation at the mo and am virtually sold on the Baader Hyperions, but the standard ones (not the zoom). Am probably going to to start off with a 24mm and at some point get something with a bit more power. Like you I am dissapointed with the stock 9mm ep that came with the scope. The 25 that came supplied has been the one I use the most.

In any case if I use the Baader 24 in my Ultima 2x barlow I will get the equivalent of a 12mm which should be a damn sight better than the 9mm that I currently have.

Obviously the atmospheric conditions will play their part. I guess that even if you had a fantasic ep, if the seeing is lousy then it would'nt matter as the view would be poor anyway. The bottom line is that you wan't to give yourself the best possible opportunity of getting a good result.

The kit's a good upgrade to standard kit lenses. A big surprise I found with using the set was the filters. I was a bit dubious about how much use they get but I've been using them non stop. The moon filter is excellent at toning down brightness and enhancing the detail. Using the 15 mm and the moon filter is a nice combination. I've been using the violet and yellow filters a lot with Jupiter and they're excellent at bringing the detail out. QUOTE]

That's really pleasing to know. I'd read elsewhere that the filters weren't great and would be sat in the box for most of the time but I'll definitely be making use of them for planetary observation.

I was very tempted by the hyperions but I guess impatience and my impulsiveness for shiny things got the better of me this time! :icon_scratch:

I think GSO Revelations are great, and having a set means you've got an eyepiece to cope with a variety of targets and seeing conditions. A set also gives you the chance to see what focal lengths you use the most so you can prioritise your future upgrades.

That's what I did with my GSOs and Meade 4000 plossls so now I have a collection of four Hyperions :D

Whatever eyepieces you end up with, enjoy :icon_scratch:

Archived