Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

replacement focuser??

Depends why you want a new one i guess. If you just wanna go dual speed, there is a mod by Lacerta to add dual controls to stock skywatcher focusers. Costs about £60.

A guy in my astro group has just done it and loves it to peices.

Lacerta 1:10 micro transmission for Skywatcher Crayford focusers

I can't vouch for the website, i just linked it as they show a detailed explanation of what the mod is.

Hi king-jaffethehutt

I am upgrading my stock focuser soon (as soon as they are in stock!). If you just want a straight replacement for the one you have you can have mine (no charge except postage costs)

I have only had the scope 2 weeks so its mint.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much that is a lovely gesture.

I have been tinkering with it today and have made a big improvement to the focuser, not quite sure it is as good as a new one though?

Main problem I have been having is that have been unable to focus my stock 10mm and 10mm + Barlow combination.

It looks like the gear track had been snapped at some point in time. I have removed the track and drilled new holes and secured it further down thus allowing more travel.

I have now got enough outward travel to focus my ep's but have lost some of the inward travel but it seems not to be an issue.

Just out of interest what are you upgrading to?

Thanks again for the kind offer though.

Best Regards

Scott

Hi Scott

I have ordered the 2" dual speed SW focuser from RVO who say they are due in later this week/early next week:

Skywatcher Dual Speed 2” Crayford Focuser | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

My flocking arrived today so that will keep me busy tonight if the clouds stay around.

Just PM me later if you decide a new one will work better - my old one will just sit in a box gathering dust anyway.

Cheers

Chris

Cheers Chris,

You'll have some fun flocking the scope, clouds look certain to stay here in Manchester though :-(

Am interested in how the replacement you've ordered will perform, I have been looking at that one myself.

will pm you if there is no vast improvement with mine.

Rgds

Scott

• 3 years later...

I've just changed my standard focuser on my 200p Dob for the SW dual speed crayford type and it has much improved the experience,however, because the new focuser is the low profile one I needed an extension tube to get focus. Other than that it's a great improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the Skywatcher low profile focuser for my 200p flextube dob.  I was wondering if you could use the 2" adapter and/or the 1.25" one from the stock focuser as an extension tube with the low profile focuser?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived