Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grabbed an hour in between the clouds

Catanonia

Now this is what I got the SuperNewt for. Those quick grabs when you have time and need the fix.

Had an hour after the missus left for her nightshift and the skies just started clearing with that big old flash light up there shining away.

Took about 1/2 hour to align, cool down and setup and managed to grab 5 x 5 mins of Ha on the old horsey and flame as a quick test.

I still have some issues with star shapes. Pretty sure my colimation is bang on. Have to took else where, perhaps pinching of optics.

Anyways 25 mins total on horsey and of course a bit noisey as it was only 5 quick subs, but fun never the less to get a fix. Only spent about 15 mins on the processing, just a quick calibration with bias and darks, no flats, banged the 5 subs together and a quick mess in PI / CS5

EDIT : The JPG and reduction really messes it up on my screen.

post-16631-133877715072_thumb.jpg

Yep, I took one look at the moon and clouds and thought..."nah, not tonight", but maybe at f2.8 I would have.

Looking at the shape of the reflection around Alnitak, it seems pretty certain the primary is being held out of shape a little. Usually the cause is having the clips too tight, but there can be other issues, like thin mirrors flexing or heavy mirrors sagging in the cell.

Check the clips first though, you should be able to slide a standard business card under them easily, which will give a 0.5mm gap or so, allowing the mirror to float freely. There are mods around using silicon that remove the clips altogether, and that might be an option. I'm not brave enough to try it on my mirror though :(

Yep, I took one look at the moon and clouds and thought..."nah, not tonight", but maybe at f2.8 I would have.

Looking at the shape of the reflection around Alnitak, it seems pretty certain the primary is being held out of shape a little. Usually the cause is having the clips too tight, but there can be other issues, like thin mirrors flexing or heavy mirrors sagging in the cell.

Check the clips first though, you should be able to slide a standard business card under them easily, which will give a 0.5mm gap or so, allowing the mirror to float freely. There are mods around using silicon that remove the clips altogether, and that might be an option. I'm not brave enough to try it on my mirror though :(

Thanks Tim, Perhaps that is my problem and I didn't know about the floating mirror arrangement, my 1st newt. I can definately tell you there is no space on my primary clips. Time for a strip down me thinks and some silicon after your words along with Blinkys.

But I am pleased so far with the scope. F2.8 really helps and gives you that fix we all need and want in the cloud gaps.

Hmmm, maybe hold off on the silicon for now, see Blinky's M42 thread for reason why!

I did try it on my F4 GSO but have removed it now.

I will check the primary clips and ensure there is space. Might introduce some primary movement, but lets see what happens.

Looked at a blown up of Craigs and I can see the triangle stars. I don't get that on mine, just off centre stars and if the primary clips are too tight, that might account for it.

Dont forget that the mirror HAS to be able to move, at least to the extent that it can settle to ambient temperature without being held in or back. Any restriction of movement will deform the mirror, and make the star shape go spuddy.

Basically the clips are only there to stop the mirror falling out, and to give a maximum boundary for it.

You'll soon see if the clips are too tight, its a 5 min job.

Even more amazing for 25 mins :D

That is looking very slick Cat.

I'm following all this with great interest, at some point in the future I just know I'm going to grab a fast newt - tempted by one of the Borg's also :icon_scratch:

Archived