NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BST explorers

bullettooth

hey all,

im just researching new eyepieces for my skyhawk 114 and the bst explorers seem to be the most appealing.

the thread "eyepieces;-the very least you need" says that my ideal focal lengths are 6,10,16 and 24 so i was just wondering if the full range of bst's are good?

with my ideal focal lengths listed should i get the 12mm and 18mm or the 15mm?

also should i get the 5mm bst or the 5mm tmb planitary II? is there much difference?

thanks in advance

martin

p.s any other ep's that may be more benifitial to me and my scope that you can think of will be greatly received. thanks

Is your scope the Skyhawk 1145P?

Is it f/4.4 ?

As "upgrades" there seem to be 3 possibilities that are getting recommended.

TMB II Planetary's (£39), 55 deg, and come is several focal lengths with quite a selection ate the smaller end.

BST Explorers(£41), 60 degree and 6 focal lengths: 5, 8, 12, 15, 18, 25.

Celestron X-Cel LX (£69), 60 degree, Focal lengths: 2.3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 18, 25.

Don't have the Celestrons but of the BST's and TMB I prefer the BST.

Of the BST's I would have thought that 8, 12 and 25 most matched.

Cannot suggest for the TMB's as ones advertised as TMB do not come in the longer focal lengths, the TMB Designed ones do. I have no idea what, if any, difference there is.

Celestron's look like 9, 12, 25.

If your scope is f/4.4 I am not sure how the eyepieces will get on in such a fast scope. There will be significant curvature on the primary image if it is.

Have read that the BST equivalents (See TS) are classed as flat field which means they work in fast scopes. But StL do not advertise them as such.

Perhaps look at the flat field eyepieces that Sky the Limit advertise and perhaps talk to Alan.

I agree, the BST Explorers work well in fast scopes, I have only read of field curvature in the 25mm focal length, not tried it in the f/5 myself, at f/8 you should be OK on all counts, of your original post choice, I would choose the 12mm and the 18mm, hold off on the TMB until you have seen the views through the BST's.

I agree, the BST Explorers work well in fast scopes, I have only read of field curvature in the 25mm focal length, not tried it in the f/5 myself, at f/8 you should be OK on all counts, of your original post choice, I would choose the 12mm and the 18mm, hold off on the TMB until you have seen the views through the BST's.

thats great, thanks very much.

im very happy with all the advice given. hopefully i'l get the funds sorted soon and get some nice ep's

Archived