Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a workable combo?

I quite fancy getting my mitts on one of the larger flextubes but the mount bugs me a tad so that got me to wondering, would a flextube OTA be functional in one of Orion UK dob mounts?

Their metal construction appeals to me more than the wood versions, having said that, i wonder if perspex cut to shape would work? Hmm

Hi Nick, to use a Flextube on an Orion Optics Dob mount would need some modifying to make it work.

You would need to enlarge the side bearings on the tube to fit the OO mount, not a difficult job. I did this when I had a SW 200 solid tube Dob and wanted to make a homemade plywood mount. I used plywood discs faced with 3mm plastic and bolted them to the original side bearings using the centre hole. I wanted the side bearings to be larger than the original plastic ones which were left in situ. It worked fine.

You will also have to work out the width of the OO mount and make sure the side bearings will be the same, so the bearings ride on the Teflon blocks, and of course the lower end of the tube must clear the base when working at high elevation.

I think I'd steer clear of perspex, nowt wrong with painted/varnished plywood if you go the DIY route rather than the OO mount.

All the best if you go ahead with this, Ed.

Edit - OO tubes are narrower than the SW equivalent, so you may need a larger size OO mount than you may think.

Cheers chaps, i think it may be easier to go for the flex and used the flatpack base as a template on other material.

Its the base that bugs me, i hear its MDF or coated chipboard or something of the like. Its the reason i steered off dobs in the first place, my observing area can be quite moist.

hmm, more thought i think

Its the base that bugs me, i hear its MDF or coated chipboard or something of the like. Its the reason i steered off dobs in the first place, my observing area can be quite moist.

Hi again Nick, yes, a good plan to use the original mount parts as a template for other materials.

Another option is to use the original mount, and seal all the joints with mastic.

Regards, Ed.

Archived