NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for a Pair of Bins for Under £100

I'm looking for some binoculars that I can use for brief observing sessions when I'm too lazy to set up a telescope. :( Problem is, I know next to nothing about binoculars as I've never had a (decent) set before.

I suppose I want something around the 10x50 size as I don't intend to mount them. Could I pick up a reasonable pair for less than £100? Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Problem is, I know next to nothing about binoculars
In which case, I'd like to know if you find my web site at all helpful: http://binocularsky.com :(
10x50 size as I don't intend to mount them. Could I pick up a reasonable pair for less than £100?
The Pentax binocular that Karen suggested is certainly "reasonable", particularly for general use as well as astronomy. If it is going to be used solely or primarily for astronomy, the Strathspey Marine may be more suitable: Strathspey Marine 10x50. I've had one for several years and it is pretty robust and optically "reasonable". IMO it is possibly the best value for money 10x50 binocular for astronomy in the just-under-£100 price bracket

That website is extremely useful, thanks for that! I'll have a look through the info on there.

The Strathspey Marine Bins look like just what I need. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll see if I can get myself a pair. :(

Edit - I've just been peering at the Strathspey site. Why are the marine / waterproof Binoculars so much more expensive? Do I need something that's waterproof? Are the optics considerably better than the Bins they sell that aren't waterproof?

Edit - I've just been peering at the Strathspey site. Why are the marine / waterproof Binoculars so much more expensive? Do I need something that's waterproof? Are the optics considerably better than the Bins they sell that aren't waterproof?
In order:
  • They are much better made.
  • No, but it helps. You will be observing in conditions that are potentially dewy. You will be taking cold binoculars into a warm space where moisture will condense onto the optics and some will penetrate if they are not waterproof. Also, nitrogen filling means that you will not get internal condensation -- if you do get that, fungus will eventually form inside, especially between the lens elements.
  • The optics aren't that much better, but they are noticeably better, specifically in that they are sharper over more of the field of view and that the fully illuminated field of view is slightly larger than in the "bog standard" ones. The mechanical construction, however, is much better. One consequence of this is that they actually hold collimation, unlike the cheaper versions. Also, quality control in the factory is better, so you are more likely to have something that is good to start with. This is important -- see how many threads there are here and elsewhere on cheaper binoculars that need to be returned because they are out of collimation or because the right eyepiece dioptre is badly set. That said, when I ran a school astronomy club, I ordered a dozen of these ones, but that was due to budget limitations more than anything else. It is better than (say) the Bresser 10x50 that usually retails for a bit more, but which comes up in Lidl periodically for £14 or so, but is not a touch on the Marine. The Marine isn't a touch on this one, which is possibly the best VFM for any 10x50 (but wasn't being made when I bought the Marine). All three come from the same factory -- you can read on the first paragraph of this page their own view (with which I concur) about the price and quality differences.

I hope that helps.

I thinkt Steve (tententerre) knows more about bins than I do, but I also have a recommendation for high quality inexpensive 10x50s. I got a pair of Olympus DPS 1 10x50s, for fifty quid from Amazon. Amazing quality views from them, I've been delighted with them.

I've received my Strathspey 10x50 Marines and have a bit of a stupid question to ask. I can't seem to adjust the IPD. I know it could just be stiff but I don't want to try brute force and damage the things. Is there a screw I need to loosen off or something before I do it?

Thanks!

Steve's right about this sort of grease, horrible stuff and found in all sorts of applications. Try leaving the afflicted item in a warm room for an hour or two, then gently flex back and forth. Should ease up after a while. If it's only ever you that uses them you won't need the IPD pivot to be especially free moving, but if anyone else is to use them they need to be reasonably easy to adjust. Flexing them back and forth with each use will keep them pliable.

A word of warning about the warm room thing though. Don't leave them in a warm place for weeks, as if you do the oils in the grease will evaporate and the residue will get very stiff.

Archived