Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to set up an early morning observing session

Hi everyone,

Took to dog out for her walk at 7am this morning and saw Mercury, Saturn and Mars all bright and wonderful in the early morning sky.

I thought about rushing home to get the scope out for a quickie session ... but then it dawned on me ... how can I set up the mount when I can't see the Pole Star to do an alignment.

So ... how do people setup their equipment for a very early morning session? Do you have an 'all-night' session or do you set up the mount the night before (and leave it covered up) and get up again early to fix on the scope etc?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Pete

I cant see polaris from my garden unless i smash a hole through my house (wifey might have something to say about that) so i just plonk the mount down pointing roughly north and then i use a compass so fairly accurate, and off i go.

Ohh - just hit 100 posts so now no longer a nebula! :(

sweet!! well done.

i cant see polaris from my yard and dont have a compass so just went off the stars, at the time, that i could see and got it relatively close. borrowed a compass next day and checked (pretty close) now i just use the marks i made on the floor. quick and easy. works for my viewing needs. :o

Archived