Trying to decide what telescope to buy

I've been looking at telescopes recently and it has quickly become somewhat overwhelming, the sheer amount of information and opinions on the subject.

These are my must-haves, feature-wise:

A scope that can provide a really good view of deep space objects and decent views of closer objects within our solar system.

The ability to attach a camera for astrophotography (I have a very nice digital SLR camera, or I am willing to buy an astrophotography camera like a StarShoot or something similar)

These are my nice-to-have features:

The ability to automatically locate objects (with motorized alt/azimuth control)

The ability to connect a locator to my iPad with something like the Southern Stars SkyWire or SkiFi

I know all this isn't going to come cheaply and I have a reasonable budget but I don't want to spend a huge amount.

I have been looking at the following scope, the optical qualities of this appeals to me, so I am looking for something in this category or better:

Orion 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph Reflector Telescope

I really like the Celestron NexStar computerized scopes, or the iOptron scopes for their technical features and locator/ability to connect via the SkyWire device.

I found this one, but it is a bit more than I wanted to spend:

Celestron NexStar 8SE GoTo Schmidt-Cass Telescope

I would really appreciate some advice on all this. Suggestions on relailers, equipment, opinions, etc. I want to make the right decision for the right reasons on the first try and I know that won't happen without some help from someone in the know. Thanks!

What kinda budget have you?

Wihere will you be building an observatory to house it?

These are questions you should seriously be asking for this kinda set up.

Big scopes for AP require an extremely accurate permenant set up.

Regards Steve

I have been doing some research and getting some advice on another forum and it is pretty clear that the AP thing might need to be a later addition and I should be focusing on a simpler setup. I am a very technical person with a good understanding of physics and optics but not so familiar with long exposure photography or AP. I want to be able to photograph what I see for documenting it for my own purpose but I don't need an amazing setup until I do have a permanent place for it. Where I live that is not an option due to background light pollution, I will have to transport my scope to a more suitable place to do any decent viewing. I want a scope with really good optics and the ability to take short exposure photos so I can learn the AP ropes from the ground up.

As the Orion 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph Reflector Telescope appears to be approx $450... it leaves you $150 for the tripod & mount... which is normally the most expensive part.

For a portable set-up you need to start with as sturdy a tripod you can afford...with as heavy duty mount/motor as poss... then see what 'scope you can afford...

Or... go the dobsonian mouted route...gets you going & can be up-dated when funds arise..an 8inch F5 Dob is well within your budget...with the chance to do basic A/P & webcam captures

Archived