Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EP for kids scope?

I got my son the SW 76 mini-dob and he is enjoying it so far, I went for some nice bins and will probably go for a bigger dob in future

It has a 300mm focal length and comes with 25mm and 10mm EP so giving just x12 and x30, but with a theoretical max of x150 at this aperture

We had our first view of Jupiter and moons last night and whilst nice it is all very small. I'm thinking he'll get most enjoyment from moon gazing and with the 10mm EP it doesn't even fill the FOV

Now I know its a cheap small reflector (£50) but is it worth getting a 6mm EP or similar to allow him bigger views of the moon and its features? It would seem silly to spend £30 on an EP for a 50 quid scope but then it may get used in future on a bigger scope

Is there anyone that does cheap EP or Barlow or are they a total waste of money - £20 is cheapest I've seen so far on FLO or Skysthelimit

Or do I just accept that x30 for 50quid is as good as you'll get

Suggest you check out UK Astro Buy and Sell.

There are often some cheap plossl's going on there of £10-15, if one turned up of say 6mm then worth going for.

Although fairly similar I find a 6mm is better then a 5mm.

If you were to get eyepieces for your own future use then consider the BST Explorers, TMB II Planetary's or Vixen Plossls for the relative budget end.

You could also stick a wanted ad on Buy&Sell.

Are you part of an Astro club, someone there may have some laying around.

THere is a skywatcher 3.6mm EP for £15 which would give 86x or a cheap barlow for £8 onn Scope nskies (I know not everyone's cup o' tea)

Are these going to give poor results for moon viewing or worth a shot?

Is there a problem with such a short focal EP as 3.6mm or is it worse with higher focal length scopes?

Archived