Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

9x50 finder as guide 'scope?

GordonCopestake

I've just ordered a new 9x50 RA finder from SnS. These finders are fairly common and have a 1.25" diagonal built in so you can change eyepieces. I have a sneaky plan to perhaps use this little 50mm refractor as a guide 'scope for my 6SE. Is this possible? I know the webcam will happily fit in the diagonal but i'm unsure if I will be able to focus it (the supplied eyepiece uses a helical focuser)

Is 50mm enough to guide with? I'm guessing the "scope" is about f/5

What do you think?

Personally Gordon, I think you'd struggle finding suitable guide stars with a 50mm scope.

There are many occasions, when I struggle with the ED80 as a guide scope, and a DSI as the guide cam.

The area of the sky where some DSO's lurk, bright enough stars can be quite 'thin on the ground'.

Dave

• 4 months later...

Right, i've been meaning to get on with this for a while! Finally got the thing all hooked up and (thanks to KK!) focused at infinity (or at least a lamp post a good way away).

PHD Guide picks it up perfectly and ASCOM drives my 'scope happily.

Now I just need a clear night to try it out!

Archived