NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion CCD or QHY?

E_ri_k

Hey, so I'm looking into upgrading my 350D to a colour CCD. I read the guide on the forum here and it was very informative, LOTS of info to consider.

I was looking at the Orion Starshoot PRO V2 colour CCD, but after seeing a comparison shot of the Starshoot and a Orion Parsec, I changed my mind, and now I'm looking at the QHY 10 colour, or the Orion Parsec 8300c.

The Parsec uses the KAF-8300 sensor, the same as some SBIG's, so I figure it must be pretty good. On the other hand, the QHY uses a Sony Super HAD sensor, with higher resolution, larger senor size, larger full well capacity, and anti-blooming.

I have seen sample images from both sensors, and both look fantastic.

I'm stuck between the two, higher resolution and larger sensor of the QHY, or the Parsec with the KAF sensor, which is smaller. I'm worried I wont fit the whole image of larger objects on the sensor when shooting at longer focal lengths.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with any of these cameras?

Thanks

That's interesting - thanks for the info :) All stored away for future reference - I can't afford anything like that yet and will be going for a Canon DSLR (EOS 1100D) for wider objects in the meantime. Probably the next thing I'll be saving up for.

Yeah, well there's that too I can get a QHY 8L, 6MP for $1450, compared to the QHY10, 10MP for an extra $1000....

The 8L uses the Sony ICX413AQ, I read somewhere that it is not one of the better chips? Although the images I have seen on QHY's website with that chip look really good.

Not sure if the extra 10 is worth that extra Grand??

Yeah, well the images I have seen it take look great! Not sure what I'll decide on. I hear a lot about pixel size to focal length ratio. My scope is 1200mm, I found some chart on the net as a guide, and it says for 1200mm, 7.8 is the optimal pixel size?

larger pixels for longer focal lengths, and smaller for shorter. I would think 1200mm is mid-range?

I wonder if the difference between the 6.05 pixels and the 7.8, would make a huge difference?

I'm not convinced by QHY reliability based on reading this and other forums. You do get what you pay for. The chip is not the camera.

I agree that the 8300 chip may not lend itself to the Bayer Matrix. A regular guest was disappointed by sensitivity on his SBIG version and switched to mono. It may be the small pixel size that lies behind this, I simply don't know. I find the 4000 OSC very impressive and also have a 4000 mono for comparison.

In CCD there is a big trade off between price, quality and chip size. In terms of price-quality I feel that Atik have got it right. Chip size is something we all have to agonize over but in my own case I would always go for smaller and better rather than the opposite.

Difficult!

Olly

Thanks for that software link, it was awesome, just what I was after. Bothe the Sony qhy chip and the 8300 based cameras give about the same FOV, so I feel a bit better about that now. Just have to work out which will be better I guess. The ATIK 4000 look nice Olly, but its out of my rice range. I have read a fair bit about the qhy10, and a few users have problems with noise, and controlling the temperature of the sensor.

I'll have to keep thinking about it:icon_scratch:

• 2 weeks later...

So ended up getting the QHY10. Pretty happy with it so far!

Here is the first shot, 20min guided, no dark frames added. Still need to get a coma corrector though.

Its a bit different to using the DSLR, got a bit of learning to do, but hope im on the right track!

post-27504-133877719598_thumb.jpg

Archived