Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Preventing the diagonal dropping out

Nosivad

Hi,

I have a Celestron 6 SE SCT with a basic Celestron diagonal. This is the type which pushes in and is held in place by 2 small screws. This is fine in normal use, even with quite heavy Baader hyperion eyepieces.

I have been bought a set of William Optics binoviewers and I find that their weight tends to turn the diagonal it its tube and has a tendency to pull the diagonal out.

I need advice on what to do to prevent the diagonal moving in the tube. I have tried putting tape on the end of the diagonal but it makes it impossible to put the diagonal in the telescope.

I don’t want to spend money on a screw-in diagonal if the problem can be solved by a simple solution.

Buying a screw in diagonal makes sense, you will only regret not doing so if your binoviewers were to fall.. need I say anymore.

Have to agree. With that much cash strapped on the end ...... I'd not be happy with a "tape" solution :)

I think posts #2 & 3 are right.

However, not exactly what you are asking, but a light cord attached to the

diagonal/binoviewers and then to a nearby place on the scope will stop expensive

bits hitting the deck. A cheap idea too.

Regards, Ed.

you should also consider a 2" visual back with compression ring / click lock and 2" diagonal as an alternative to the screw in diagonal. The 2" system is stronger than the 1.25" and will be more resistance to the twisting moment. In addition you will be able to use that 2" diagonal in scopes other than SCT.

The C6 has a small diameter baffle tube, so the only benefit of using 2" is mechanical.

Archived