Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What spotter should I put on my celestron astromaster 114?

The red dot finder on the Astromasters is a poor example of it's breed I fear. If you are prepared to give another one a chance I'd recommend a Rigel Quikfinder which can be fitted without drilling an is a much better example of that type of finder in my view:

First Light Optics - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

If you want to move to an optical finder then the one that Nick has pointed you towards is a good one and has the right angled viewing facility which helps avoid a cricked neck !.

A skywatcher red dot finder can be had for £9 very often on astroboot, there is one there right now..i believe you may need the 2 pin adapter for an extra £1.75 (dont quote me on that though, looking down the tube should tell you this) and postage would be about £2 but that still comes in at a very cheap £12.75.

I use one all the time, i have found it to be a good cheap RDF that holds alignment well, it also has an adjustable red dot so you can have it nice and bright when needed ie. moon or daytime, and dim at othertimes (better for the planets)

It may not be suitable for your scope though, its hard to see in pictures exactly how the current RDF is attached!.

Archived