Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Testing the signal of the TS SuperNewt with Bodes Integrated Flux

Catanonia

Ever since I saw my 1st image of the integrated flux around M81 and M82 I have been fascinated by it and have always wanted to image it myself.

I have tried many times on near perfect nights from my semi dark back yard ( can just see the MilkyWay on a good night). Always though I failed. Even with 15min subs on the MN190, it just eluded me everytime.

Well now with the TS SuperNewt I had to give it another go after M42 on new years day.

Conditions were poor, 1/2 moon high in the sky, seeing was less than good, some high cloud, mist, but I gave it a run of 5 minute subs in LRGB. After applying the flats / bias and darks I thought I was seeing things, but no it was definately there in all 4 channels. So the total for the luminance flux part of the image is 40 mins in 5 min subs.

Pulling out the flux is difficult and I really need to work on a technique for it. I concentrated on the Luminance channel 8 x 5 minutes unbinned in bad skies and used that to roughly blend in over the top of the RGB.

Oh my, I got it, although the resolution is not great, it is definately there and with good skies and lets say 10 minute subs, it is definately something I am going to try again.

The below image is very rough processing, but I wanted to see if I actually got the flux and hence it is here in this section of the forum for anyone to offer tips on how to process it.

Here is an image for reference that I used to check I actually had the flux.

http://deepskycolors.com/pics/astro/2009/01/mm_01-04-2009_M81_M82_IFN2.jpg

Any tips on processing the flux ?

post-16631-133877712526_thumb.jpg

I take back what I said about the Witchs head being the most difficult target i've tried, i'd forgotten about the flux!

I spent over 25 hours on it a couple of years ago with my GSO 8" F4 newt and it just about drove me mad. You can definitely catch a trace of it, and some parts are quite bright (relative to the dimmer parts), but actually processing it proved to be a nightmare. I also had some image artifacts from light entering the rear of the primary which came out when stretching enough to bring the flux out.

It'll be a great opportunity for you though over the next couple of months, pick moonless nights other wise you could stack the flux OUT of the image.

And dont forget to process M81 and M82 separately too!

I take back what I said about the Witchs head being the most difficult target i've tried, i'd forgotten about the flux!

I spent over 25 hours on it a couple of years ago with my GSO 8" F4 newt and it just about drove me mad. You can definitely catch a trace of it, and some parts are quite bright (relative to the dimmer parts), but actually processing it proved to be a nightmare. I also had some image artifacts from light entering the rear of the primary which came out when stretching enough to bring the flux out.

It'll be a great opportunity for you though over the next couple of months, pick moonless nights other wise you could stack the flux OUT of the image.

And dont forget to process M81 and M82 separately too!

Thanks Tim, great advice. I too tried last year with over 16 hours worth in 15min subs and gave up.

I remember Olly trying the same not too long ago, might have to search out the thread. Hopefully he will see this and offer some help.

It looks promising though, 5 min subs in 1/2 moon / average skies. Dark clear night, no moon, 10 min subs, mmmm I wonder.

Archived