what do you recomend?

Got my new telescope out again tonight for the second time and got to have a proper go. But found myself going between the moon and jupiter, good viewing anyhow. But as im new to all this astronomy lark i dont really know what else to look at, ive checked out pleadies before but apart from that dunno. Ive seen alot of talk about the orion nebula but would i actully be able to see it through my scope? and all the galaxys?

Sorry bit of a dumbass question and i know that learning the skys takes years but need some pointers :)

You can see the Orion Nebula with naked eye so a scope and/or binocs will have no problem. Same for the Andromeda galaxy - but you'll need a dark moonless night for best results on that. Google a list of Messier objects, locate them in Stellarium and see if you can see them in the sky with your scope. The Sky at Night magazine has a center page pull out with all the current objects, how to find them and which equipment to use. :)

The orion nebula is a good bright target. If you can make out the shape of the Orion constellation, then all you need to do is point your scope at a low magnification at Orion's sword. You should see a fuzzy patch.

Try and find Capella, the brightest star of Auriga, which is a ring of stars about the same size as Orion. Auriga contains three beautiful clusters, M36, M37 and M38. How they will look strongly depends on how much light pollution you have.

Have a look at stellar colours as well. Aldebaran and Betelguese very red, for instance, because of their low temperatures by stellar standards.

A good beginners guide is Turn Left At Orion.You do need something aong these lines. We all do.

Olly

It's worth getting a starter book to guide you to a few objects - mostly Messier objects as previously mentioned.

A few to look out for are;

The Double cluster

M44 - The Beehive cluster in Cancer

M42 - The Orion nebula

M35 - Another open cluster in Gemini

M31 - Andromeda galaxy

Stellarium will help but a pocket sky atlas is good to keep refering back to.

Mars and Saturn are gradually becoming more favourable too.

Archived