eq5 synscan need help

hi all

got a eq5 goto upgrade for my wifes eq5 and i am really scratching my head as im not getting anywhere near the targets im trying to find ie it wasnt even hitting the moon

north leg towards polaris and visable through finder scope and tube (cant see anything through polar scope ,counter weights above same leg ,lat set to local 51deg

i have entered my lat long (right way round)

date time set/daylight savings off/time zone 000

checked date format was correct and im also using a regulated mains power supply

tried all three alignment methods and always got a alignment failed with the 2+3 star

i did notice that i when i "parked" the telescope it would not be anywhere near its home pos is that because i have tried adjusting its alignment ??

many thanks all

Place the Tri-pod leg with N against it pointing north towards Polaris. Release the clutches and from the handset select "park scope". When the motors stop and the handset beeps, place the scope in the default home position and lock the clutches.

923981.jpg

If your mount has a polar scope fitted, it's well performing a crude alignment by placing Polaris dead underneath the + in the polar scope using the alt / azimuth bolts on the mount. It's not precise but it will do for now.

Now assuming you've entered your longitude and latitude correctly (don't use the digital co-ordinates found on the web, it has to be degrees, minutes and seconds), and you've entered the correct date in American format of MM/DD/YYYY with the correct time, try doing a 2 star alignment and see if that passes, at this time of the night, there are some good bright stars that are easy to identify, but try and make the choice some distance between them.

Hope that helps

Make sure you use the correct time, don't use a watch, I've found that being just a few minutes out will make a difference, use an I phone or similar as this will give correct time. Google Astronomy Shed (I think it's called, sorry I'm on my phone at mo and can't provide link) You Tube video tutorial, he goes through the whole process step by step.... Brilliant guide

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.365179,-2.732831

Archived