NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Happy new year moon!

Stargazing_Cliff

With this and some of your other posts, I was thinking you might well be on to something with that XBox camera, so I ordered one, and it arrived today.

Now I'm sure you are on to something. That's quite a bit of camera for £5.00p Especially since philips is harder to find and becoming so much more expensive of late.

I would be interested to see what you can get with the cam and the monocular in your kit list. Might well be an interesting combo for back yard birding.

Obviously early days but it works fine with Sharpcap on win7 64bit too! Going to be very interesting this one! Cheap enough to risk the odd hack, frame rates are BETTER than my MS LifeCam Cinema 5000HD (a more consistent and solid 30 FPS)

Just need to figure out a means to get a 100% image cropped from one of the larger image sizes it can do for a zoom type effect. That may prove trickier, but probably well worth chasing. Wondering what sort of sensor it's got in there?

Thanks very much indeed for the tip off!

they have ccd sensors they are worth it for price of them the ccd is behind the red filter glass thats easy to remove from xbox cam

here diagram below

stargazing_cliff-albums-cam-modifications-picture14660-xboxmod.jpg

How to modify xbox live vision cam to infrared

Gently unscrew the lens pull out, then small screw driver go along sides of plastic casing mite damage plastic little then lift and it click up the plastic casing remove that then where led's are use screw drive slightly gently clip along led's till it breaks the led lights, they just heat the cam up too much, then unscrew the screws on circuit board and then unscrew the scews where the black circled plastic is, then remove the red glass filter and then screw black plastic back together again and click case all back together and cam's ready to attach to telescope or put normal lens back on it and it's infrared cam

thats how i modded mine modded one for normal use look at stars

and one i attach to telescope.

havent tryed monocular yet :(

the ubisoft wii cam's are also ccd

as in software's comes up with long exposure they pretty good cams easy to mod. get them with shape training game. for around tenner to 15 quid

How to modify xbox live vision cam to infrared Gently unscrew the lens pull out,

got that

then small screw driver go along sides of plastic casing mite damage plastic little then lift and it click up the plastic casing remove that

got that

then where led's are use screw drive slightly gently clip along led's till it breaks the led lights, they just heat the cam up too much,

Eyesight not good enough, even with specs and magnifier!:icon_scratch: So, a fair compromise, covered them with small bit's of insulation tape, not too bad really.

then unscrew the screws on circuit board

Got that.

and then unscrew the scews where the black circled plastic is,

Thwarted - could not get screws on the black plastic mount loose. Curses.

I didn't do too bad for a newb to webcam hardware. :D

I got some other ideas to try out.

Do you have any star images taken with it once the IR filter is gone? Missed your facebook post as I'm on G+ exclusively.:(

Thanks for the tips though, went ok for now!

Yeah took couple star images just using the xbox cam on it's own with the orginal lens but no red filter picks up star lights pretty cool using long exposure in software's setting.

cam works best outside.

i leave mine out all time even in rain they water proof

took this as example other day to show distance can pick up light from :)

Cam on it's own with original lens but no red filter making it very very sensitive to light.

stargazing_cliff-albums-stars-picture15198-orion-star-system.jpg

So Cliff, I take it with the IR cut filter off the image will pull in infrared radiation now and display it? Gonna wait for the moon to show back up to try and work out my focus on this camera and go from there...can focus on simple objects in the house but can't seem to obtain focus outside yet...might try day time terrestrial objects first, but again it is my first webcam so still trying to wrap the head around how they work guess it takes a bit to get the hang of it.

on my mine i removed the red filter glass and killed the led's as they heat cam up and then put everything back together

then made some little tube adapter thing to fit telescope where eyepiece

yes it pick up infrared the cam will be very very senstive to light once that red glass filter removed.

but that can be solved if doing daytime shots just get some ir filter (the black stuff from some undeveloped 35mm camera film) or the black stuff from inside floppy disc's :D

Archived