NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any help for installing a fan?

Hi all,

I have an old cpu cooling fan. Thought I could put it down at my primary for really steady planetary views.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to do this, or know of any guides?

Thanks to dweller (David) I have pulled off the plastic socket and the fan works when red and black wires are connected to a 9v.

Cheers,

I did this myself - and it really works very well indeed.

I cut a hole in the mirror box and blew air across the face of the mirror. Worked a treat!

If you would like a photo of TorcDobIV in all her glory I'm happy to post.

Hey Trull,

Yeah a photo would be great thanks. What is the mirror box? My primary doesn't have a piece of metal to protect things if thats what you mean. It's just exposed to the elements and I am wondering how to suspend the fan.

Cheers,

I have done this and it really helps clearing tube currents. But be warned, that if you leave it running too long or to high on a damp night its a sure way to dew your primary up. So keep an eye on your mirror.

I mounted the fan on some .5mm ali sheet with a circular hole and cut outs for the collimation knobs. It velcros to the base of the scope. and has an RCA phono connector to connect to the 12v power tank and a pot inline to control the speed. Blows rather than sucks.

post-26647-133877711007_thumb.jpg

post-26647-133877711021_thumb.jpg

Archived