Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another ISS transit of the moon

lukebl

Hi all,

There was a lunar transit of the International Space Station this evening, visible from my location so I thought I'd give it a bash, but not expecting anything remotely as good as carldr's superb image of a couple of weeks ago.

I took images with my Canon 450d on my 250mm f/4.7 Newt continuously over a period of around 20 seconds at the time of the transit (19:09:46), resulting in 57 separate images. It was a bit of a long shot at only 3 frames per second, given that not much of the moon is illuminated and the ISS flits by in a split second. Anyway, I sifted through each image, but just couldn't find the ISS. As I'd expected, I'd missed it but I thought, ho-hum, I'll stack the images in DSS anyway, and here's the result.

moon_2011_29_12_copy.jpg

Quite pleased with the result. After doing the stacking, I was about to trash the 57 images, when I finally noticed that the ISS actually was present in one frame, a thin slither on the edge of Mare Crisium. It was obviously oriented 'side-ways-on' as the solar panels weren't presenting their usual H-shaped appearance. Here's an extract of the single frame...

moon_2011_29_12_ISS%20transita.jpg

.. an here's an animation of 10 frames (might take a moment or two to load). Ok not as good as Carl's result, but a result all the same.

ISS_lunar_transit_2011_12_29.gif

Luke,

You've done very well to capture it on such a small sliver of the Moon! It's a shame it wasn't face on to you, I think it would have made a great image against the archetypal crescent moon.

Good luck for future transits.

C.

Thanks Carl. When you think about it, the Solar panels are presumably always aligned toward the sun, so when it transits a crescent moon the geometry means that it can never be face-on. I guess that's why you need a solar transit, or a transit of the full moon like your image, to get the full face-on view.

Thanks Carl. When you think about it, the Solar panels are presumably always aligned toward the sun, so when it transits a crescent moon the geometry means that it can never be face-on. I guess that's why you need a solar transit, or a transit of the full moon like your image, to get the full face-on view.

Very logical thinking and great image! That explains why my solar transits always show the H profile!

I haven't been lucky enough to see a lunar transit as yet, but live in hope.

Archived