Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Budget Diagonal?

Donkeiller

Looking to upgrade my diagonal. Currently have a Revelation 1.25" 99% dielectric. Nice and light and gives good images, but I don't like the fact it uses a screw to secure the EPs.

Any suggestions for a diagonal of equal performance that uses a compression ring? - Looking to pay arounf £60

The William Optics 1.25" is very good quality in every respect but it does have a small design issue in that there is a rather thick internal ring holding the eyepiece drawtube onto the diagonal body. This makes for a solid join but does cause some vignetting of the outer edges of the field of view when you are using eyepieces with large diameter field stops such as a 32mm plossl, 24mm Panoptics / Hyperion or a 16mm Nagler / UWAN If you are not using such eye pieces then it's a good choice.

Dielelectric diagonals from William Optics, Moon Fish and Long Perng are the same (as far as I know, Long Perg is the original manufacturer but I can be wrong). At least in Spain, Long-Perng is cheaper (20-30€ cheaper). I had several of them. For the cost they are pretty good ones but, as John said, the clear aperture of these diagonals are not the maximun.

Had a quick look- doesn't look like it has a compression ring..:p

That's a good point - it doesn't :icon_salut:

I had one for a while and it was excellent optically and lacked the thick ring that the William Optics clones have. But no compression ring, unfortunately.

Archived