Hi everyone a little advice please...

Hello everyone having had a MILD interest in the skys but knowing pretty much zero about it my mum got me a telescope today, this one ---> Jessops Astronomical Telescope 1100-102 - Jessops - Telescopes

Now I'm under no illusions as to quality etc but it ought to serve the purpose just fine for now, perhaps ill get a proper one someday. What can I expect to be able to see? and what would you guys recommend for me to go looking for?

focusing is interesting to say the least so I may perhaps invest in a couple of higher quality ep's in a week or 2 but other than that I'll not be ploughing cash into it, I'd rather get a better starting point further down the line.

Congratulations on your new scope! - As you are aware it is very basic but you certainly can do some observing with it!

Firstly look South early in the evening and you will see a bright "star" which is actually the planet Jupiter - have a look using your 25mm eyepiece and you should see the disc of the planet and the four brightest moons. Try the 12.5mm eyepiece for a closer look.

In a few days the Moon will be observable in the early evenings - low in the west after sunset - have a look at the craters and other surface details. You could try the 25mm eyepiece with the 3x Barlow lens but don't ecpect too much unless the atmosphere is very clear and steady (Astronomers refer to this as the "seeing"). I would suggest that the Barlow is not really much use with your scope - the manufacturers sell 'em so they can claim huge magnifications - your Barlow and 12.5mm eyepiece will give x264 but it will be impossible to use as the scope and mount isn't up to it and the atmosphere will rarely be steady enough for magnifications over 200x-250 except on rare nights of exceptional seeing.

DON'T EVEN TRY TO LOOK AT THE SUN - YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR EYES PERMANENTLY. LECTURE OVER!

You could download the planetarium software "Stellarium" (its free!) and use it to see what is around in the sky before you go out to observe.

Have fun - and don't bother with extra eyepieces for your scope - put the money towards your "next and better" instrument as you save up fot it.

hi there and great to see another scope see in the stars ,hope ya get to see the night wonders ,do not be put of with the scope am sure you can see jupiter its high in the sky and hard to miss ,the moon will be out in a couple a days which you should get some good views

it may take a few days to get the best from your scope ,leave the other eps for a while am sure the ones will do the job for now once you do get out there one night rember to do your first "light report "

just to echo the above thoughts - jupiter is visible, the moon is always a good view, I can never get enough of it :D ,

You could always try to find your first double, a lovely blue and yellow in cygnus (not entirely sure the aperture will be able to resolve it, maybe someone else can comment further), but dont be deterred!

Stellarium is a must, it's free and will tell you where everything is in the night sky :)

also the great orion nebula you will see that nicely in that scope if you look to the south around midnight you will see 3 stars in a row thats orions belt look below that with your largest numbered eye piece to give you your widest field of view (fov) and you are sure to see it. if its clear of course, good luck

Archived