Taking baby steps first

I have taken some very good advice and purchased Making Every Photon Count to learn the fundamentals of astrophotography so many thanks for the pointers.

I have a couple of slightly unrelated questions if I may?

Are there any active astronomy societies within 30 mins drive of Plymouth UK?

I have attended a meeting of the Plymouth Astronomical Society and met some very pleasant and friendly people.

I am just curious if there are any other active groups in the South Devon area who regularly observe from local dark sites.

Secondly, is there any preferred dark-sky site on Dartmoor?

I don't want to randomly drive around the moors when I could possibly be going past popular sites. The Plume of Feathers pub in Princetown springs to mind as it has a large safe camping area and real ales.

Many thanks :)

Dave

Clubs in Devon:

Guess the Plymouth one is the nearest.:)

http:// www.plymouthastro.btck.co.uk/

Platform 51 Centre, Alfred Street, The Hoe, Plymouth PL1 2RP Second Friday of each month from September to June

Plume of Feathers is good, a little closer is the ground to the left of the A386 as you approach Yelverton. Pretty dark, flat (old airfield or similar).

Many thanks for the info Capricorn. I have driven past that spot so many times and never saw the potential lol.

One thing though. It looks a perfect open area during the day but is it safe to use when going solo for some observing/imaging?

Sometimes these slightly secluded areas are frequented by nefarious types. Does anybody here have experience with the use of this site?

Not sure if this belongs in this sub-forum but I am very much a beginner in need of advice :)

Dave

Many years back I used to rent a flat in the house just past what I think is a restaurant, well google maps has a knife and fork against it. Knightstones apparently.

Worst danger was falling over a sheep or 3. They lay in the road as it is a bit warmer. If it is foggy the mottled grey horses hide in the fog, but on the road. That is a damn good test of brakes and reactions.

There is still the old gun embankments/earthworks there but the big triangle is flat, utterly flat. Have a look at google maps and the satallite view.

People don't walk from Yelverton over that way, too dark and no real number of houses to be walking to. So just no pedestrian traffic or any other sort. Possibly turn in then turn right and go parallel to the A386.

Hi Prador,

I've previously used a couple of areas on the road that goes around Burrator resevoir, either the parking area just before the resevoir or the carpark right at the far end. It's nice and dark but gets bloomin cold during the Winter. It's also very isolated!! I think Callington Astro still use those areas for their observing. Might be worth giving them a call?

Archived