Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's good to drizzle

Spikey

I think this will be the last bit of M81/82 spam from me until I get a few more hours on it. This is yet another rendition of the previous M81/M82 stack 12x10mins; as here

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/167968-m81-82-re-process.html

I read the DSS manual :) framed & then reference framed one of the subs, then it was a x3 drizzle and further tweaks in PS. I like how it's got a bit nearer to the action so to speak. I think it's come out pretty well and I'm really pleased as it's my first attempt at this target.

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture14908-m8182-3-drizzled.jpg

You have plenty of detail there, even a trace of that little blue NGC smudge cloud that sits alongside M81 whose name escapes me just now.

I'm using my wife's laptop, so it may be that, but perhaps a little more saturation in some of the colours? With M81/82 it is best to deal with each galaxy separately in processing, you have lots of detail in the Ha burst from M82 but it would be nice to see it a little redder maybe.

Anyway, great result, I bet you are very pleased :)

Tim

You have plenty of detail there, even a trace of that little blue NGC smudge cloud that sits alongside M81 whose name escapes me just now.

I'm using my wife's laptop, so it may be that, but perhaps a little more saturation in some of the colours? With M81/82 it is best to deal with each galaxy separately in processing, you have lots of detail in the Ha burst from M82 but it would be nice to see it a little redder maybe.

Anyway, great result, I bet you are very pleased :)

Tim

Holmberg IX! Right beggar of a thing to catch.

I'd say just bang away getting more data and, as Tim says, spend a bit of time on the red channel. That's where you'll find the fireworks...

Olly

Thanks for the wise comments. I want to get a few more hours on this object to at least try and do it some justice.

I've had a quick tweak of the jpeg version of my image after googling a few reference images and I see about the colour. It never crossed my mind to try and process the galaxies individually. This is just a quick lassoo and colour balance - hue/saturation - levels but I think it's heading in the right direction colour-wise now.

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture14910-sgl-m8182-3-drizzle3-filtered.jpg

Archived