NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C/2009 P1 Comet Garradd

After reading fellow member tetenterre Binocularsky website and the newsletter i was fascinated if could track this comet down and locate it. Although i am very new observer i will give it a go but my expectations are limited to say the least.

Along with this website to aid me in my observation and i hope this will get more members to see if they can locate the comet.

Will be trying over the coming weeks and months (weather permitting) and see how i and others get on, happy hunting.

I was only thinking of this comet this am. It had its closest approach to the Sun on Dec 23rd, and to Earth in March, so very much overshadowed by Comet Lovejoy!

I havent seen it for ages,but did get many looks at it in previous months. OK, so its presently in Hercules at about mag 7, and brightening slowly. :icon_salut:

Good luck Ian!! When I saw it a few months ago, it was a nice fuzzy blog with a small tail, so should be a bit bigger now.

Oh, did I mention it was discovered by an Australian. :p

Rigged the 5" newtonian this morning, had a good updated finder chart (heavens-above.com) and found it easily at 06.05 UT though it was faint, mag 7.4, (and just a fuzzy smudge) on the fast brightening morning sky. I think it had a fairly easy position this morning enabling a quick star hop to get there. Gave it a go with the 7x50 binos as well, and sure enough... there it was when i knew where to look but it was incredibly hard to see.

Good Luck!

Rigged the 5" newtonian this morning, had a good updated finder chart (heavens-above.com) and found it easily at 06.05 UT though it was faint, mag 7.4, (and just a fuzzy smudge) on the fast brightening morning sky. I think it had a fairly easy position this morning enabling a quick star hop to get there. Gave it a go with the 7x50 binos as well, and sure enough... there it was when i knew where to look but it was incredibly hard to see.

Good Luck!

Wow, still fairly faint there, ta Spica.

Yeah, it was a neat sight. It's not really that faint, just feels like such when the sky is getting brighter and brighter by the uprising sun. So looking forward in hunting down more comets, this been my 3rd only. Two by naked eye, and this, the first by telescope. It's so rewarding to find it in the eyepiece that you just keep wanting more... Comets been an interest for the longest time, and after having read mainly abt them in the books, this is so great to finally see them live.

Archived