Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimation EP

Hello all, just a quick one I am looking for a decent Cheshire collimation EP for a 200p, I have been looking at one called a AC656 Colli-mate Deluxe, has anyone experience of these ? Or can anybody recomend a decent alternative. Going to go with a Cheshire rather than a lazer. Any advice would be great thanks. P.S I have never collimated yet, so something with user friendly instructions would be a bonus. Thanks all.

Thanks for the response guys, I have read Astro`s guide many times, just not put it to practice as yet, got it printed ready to go. Its a bit scary but I am sure when I have done it once, it will all fall into place.

The first time at anything always feels daunting. However I found after I'd collimated once it was a lot easier and less stressful second time round. :)

I use a Colli-mate Deluxe for aligning the secondary and barlow a laser collimator for tweaking the primary, every time I set the scope up for a session.

Don't be scared by using one and/or either. My 200p was so far out of whack out of the box, I could barely see half the primary in the reflection from the secondary. As a result, the initial view I was getting through the Colli-mate was nothing like the on-line tutorials - it was that bad, it left me feeling like I was the numpty who couldn't see the obvious and all of the n00b self doubt about being in at the deep end, followed.

The obvious turned out to be that the 200p was screwed together with precisely no care, what-so-ever. In the end, I decided I had nothing to loose, adjusted everything to flat and started afresh. That was a leap of faith that paid dividends in the long run, because it removed the fear of killing the scope. Even my first, kack handed attempt, delivered a better visual result than that out of the box.

The mere act of starting to collimate will, in fairly short order, turn you into an expert. Remember, you can't do anything that can't be undone and indeed, you can experiment until your head spins, during daylight. The one thing that is certain, is that if you have a 200p, it does need collimating, so get started sooner rather than later!

Russell

Thanks for that Russell, Ive not got the 200p as yet, but will be ordering it just after Christmas. I was lead to believe these scopes were (factory collimated) whatever that means. But I have heard lots of people saying they were tottally out of whack when delivered, guess this probably happens in transit. Anyway I am confident collimation should not be too daunting, cant be that tricky if people do it every time before a session. Thanks all.

Archived