NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

You know... for kids

I'm buying my boy the heritage 76 for Xmas (honest it's for him) and me some 10x50s, I don't have a scope (yet)

What are your recommendations for viewing with him to get his interest? Not having used a scope before I don't know what one can expect to see in a 76 refractor dob. He's unlikely to be impresed with faint smudges, so need to be realistic about easily found (and kept) objects that will impress

The other issue is that viewing will be limited to 5-8pm at the moment, he is nearly 6 and still needs bed before 8pm, though can waive this a bit over Xmas. We have good dark skies

I'm guessing the moon is a good starter, though it wont be up in the west for a few days after Xmas but the 1st quarter should be nice. Jupiter could be antoher but not sure how much detail/moons will be seen. It's right outside his bedroom window in the evening

We saw venus at dusk but it wont be in a phase yet

Will kids be interested in open clusters, I was impressed by the Pleiades in a compact x8 binoculars so he may like it

All other ideas and remember I'm only just learning to navigate the constellations myself at the moment

All good ideas to get him excited are welcome

I would try M31, that looks well. Jupiter will show moons well and with about x60 magnification you should be able to see the equatorial bands.

M42 is also a good looker but might need to stay up till about 9pm for that.

The Double Cluster in Perseus is nice too.

M35 is nice, M45 too.

If you guys are early risers, Saturn is always a WOW!

In January there's a decent enough length of darkness in the morning that he could be out in before school. I work with kids before school in the morning and I'm often caught tearfully gazing out the window, thinking about what things would look like with my telescope.

I think you are about right with your choice of objects to view - I would add spotting satellites and watching meteor showers as both have a bit of movement to them and can be done with the naked eye or bino's. (You can predict satellites using Stellaruim (freeware) and then go out to find them which will help in having to learn your way around the skies.

Saturn is coming into view shortly (for your time frame) and is quite spectacular.

Archived