Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it worth buying a zoom EP?

I've been looking at different EPs to add to my collection and was wondering if it was worth buying one?

Does the zoom affect what you see?

and as I have a 2x barlow on the way, would it be better to stick to that as it'll give me another set of magnifications or still worth investing in a zoom EP

Thanks

I think a good quality zoom eyepiece is worth considering. The Baader Hyperion 8-24mm gets lots of enthusiastic support on the forum:

First Light Optics - Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece

It might seem expensive at 1st glance but it covers for 3/4 fixed focal length eyepieces which mitigates that.

I'd tend to avoid the low cost zooms though - fixed focal length EP's will give you better performance than those.

Personally I'd rather have a small number of top EPs (and compromise on focal length) than have every focal length covered at lower quality, whether by having lots of ordinary EPs or a zoom. Others won't share that preference so it's hard to advise.

Olly

With the range of eps you have at the moment and a barlow on the way I don't think a zoom would be of that much use to you as you'd just be doubling up on what you have. if you were going to go fora zoom I would say only go for the baader as it will give you a bit more quality and the price aint that bad for the piece of kit you get. I have the baader mk3 and that is all i use now until i can afford to replace that with fixed length hyperions.

BUT THEN AGAIN WHAT DO I KNOW :):icon_salut:

Jana - thats what I was thinking, I'll have covered most of them anyway once my barlow comes.

Brianmc - ah right, I think I might just leave it and go for a higher quality piece if I have a little extra to spend

Thanks for you feedback, I reckon I'll just get a low power eyepiece for widefield views

Archived